QUEEN ANNE'S COUNTY
Saturday, April 25, 2009 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Chairmen: Kelly Hardesty Phipps, 202 S. Commerce St., Centreville, MD 21617
Telephone: 410.758.1817 | Cell: 410.708.5496 | firstname.lastname@example.org
Lea Ferguson Brooks, 200 Piney Point Farm Lane, Centreville, MD 21617.
Special Project: Monies raised by the tour will be used by the Kennard Alumni Association
to continue the second phase of historic renovation of Kennard High School, the first African American
high school in Queen Anne’s County. The 9400 square foot building with six classrooms, principal’s office,
small library, and two bathrooms was magnificent when built in 1936 but is closed today.
Upon completion of Phase II, the building will reopen to the public and, in addition to historical tours,
will be used for a variety of ongoing educational, cultural, and recreational programs for the youth
and adults of Queen Anne’s County.
Lunch: Lunch is available in downtown Centreville or on the water at nearby
Kent Narrows which is home to a variety of seafood restaurants.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~HISTORY~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
‘Good Queen Anne’ of England gave her name to this county in 1706. Thirty years ago, HRH Princess Anne dedicated a bronze statue of her that sits on the courthouse green. Throughout its history, Queen Anne’s County African Americans have benefited the county at many levels, particularly in education and in military and public service. Centreville, the county seat of Queen Anne’s County, was designated as a National Historic District in 2004. Queen Anne’s County interests today are much entwined with agriculture, water and history. The homes on today’s tour reflect those various interests.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ DIRECTIONS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
From Wilmington and North: Take I-95 South to DE 896 Middletown. Take DE 896/US 301 to US 301
South for about 60.0 mi. to MD 213 North to Centreville. Travel 2.3 mi. to site #1.
From Baltimore and the Bay Bridge: Take I-695 to I-97 South to Annapolis/Bay Bridge. Take US 50/301 East across the Bay Bridge. Bear left at US 50/301 split. Continue on US 301 North to MD 213 North to Centreville. In Centreville, MD 213 North becomes Commerce Street. Travel for 2.3 mi. to site #1.
From Easton and South: Take US 50 West to MD 213 North to Centreville. Travel 7.0 mi. to site #1.
Follow Pilgrimage Arrows and Signs. For MapQuest users, all sites are in Centreville, MD 21617.
Parking: Besides street parking, there is a town parking lot and additional parking around the courthouse and behind the public library next to Wright's Chance.
Collins House is one of the finest examples of Victorian residential architecture in Queen Anne’s County. The Queen Anne style is evident in its irregular massing, multiple roof forms, and ornate brickwork, while the Italianate influence is reflected in both exterior and interior details. Aaron Arlett built the house in 1886 to replace a story-and-a-half house on the lot. It seems that Mr. Arlett overextended himself as he sold the house the same year to local businessman John W. Perry. The house passed to the Collins family in 1913 and, in time, Jackson R. Collins married his next door neighbor Elizabeth Harper and the house remained in the family until 1992. This gracious home features period furnishings and lighting, an original Italianate newel post with gas light, marble and slate mantels, and secluded gardens. The gardens have been divided into distinct rooms including a hydrangea garden, an English boxwood garden, a temple with an antique French fountain, a rose garden, and a French cutting garden.
Walk up the street to:
| || |
2. Wright's Chance
Wright’s Chance is an excellent example of an Eastern Shore manor house. Built in 1744, the five bay façade and center passage plan are combined with a gambrel roof. The interior is notable for exceptionally fine paneled fireplace walls in the principal rooms on both floors. The handsome open-string stair, the unusual feather-edge paneled partitions on the second story, and the generous proportions of the second story stair passage show that this was among the finer frame houses of its period. In 1964, the Queen Anne’s County Historical Society rescued Wright’s Chance and moved it six miles from its original setting south of Hope Road to the grounds of the Goldsborough property where the house hosts school tours, teas, meetings, and society events. In its dining room is a renowned Baltimore sideboard c. 1790. The smokehouse on the property is currently being renovated, and the serene grounds include a restored gas lamp light and sundial.
Cross the street to:
3. Tucker House
Tucker House is one of the first homes built in the Town of Centreville and is headquarters to the Queen Anne’s County Historical Society. James Kennard built the home between 1792, when he purchased the lot from Elizabeth Nicholson, and 1797, when a May 1797 tax assessment noted the property was improved with a value of $866.67. The original “double pile” plan consisted of two rooms, one behind the other, with a shared chimney on the north side. The combination of the “double pile” plan and gambrel roof is relatively unusual on the Eastern Shore, with only two other recorded examples in the County. The gardens feature popular colonial bulbs, perennials, and roses, as well as a meat house, which was designed by the Queen Anne’s County Garden Club. The last private owner of Tucker House, Mrs. Clarence Tucker, bequeathed the house to the Historical Society in 1968.
Go north on MD 213 (Commerce St.) for 3.6 mi. Turn right onto Clannihan Shop Rd. and continue 0.7 mi. Turn right onto Brick School House Rd. Go 0.3 mi. to:
4. Blue Heron Pond Farm
Constructed by the owner, a builder, in 1999, the spacious farmhouse features reclaimed American chestnut stairs and floors, handcrafted plaster moldings, and a floor to ceiling stacked stone fireplace. In 2004 the garden area was expanded to include a potting shed and a pavilion with an outdoor kitchen. The potting shed has been featured in national magazines. Lush native plantings abound throughout the three seasons and the gardens provide flowers as well as fruits and vegetables. Even though it is just a short distance from the town of Centreville, Blue Heron Pond Farm is remarkable for its abundant wildlife. Numerous blue heron, osprey, shore birds, muskrats, beavers, and even a bald eagle maintain a yearlong presence, as do white-tail deer and wild turkeys.
Go south on Brick School House Rd. for 0.6 mi. Take a right onto White Marsh Rd. Continue for 2.1 mi. Turn left onto MD 213 South. Continue for approximately 0.1 mi. Turn right onto Purple Martin Rd. Go 0.2 mi. Turn right onto Burrisville Rd. Go 3.6 mi. to Land's End Rd. Turn left. Continue approximately 0.4 mi. to site #5. Travel distance is 8.1 mi. and driving time is about 18 minutes.
5. Ashland Farm
Ashland Farm, an historic 230 acre farm, was built in 1870 and is a rare example of a Victorian brick farmhouse. Situated on this Chester River front farm are several interesting buildings, including a recently built stable. At water’s edge are two quaint bungalow style cottages. The main house overlooks not only a waterfowl inhabited pond but also a private grass landing strip for small aircraft.
Go south on Land’s End Rd. Drive approximately 0.7 mi. to Spaniards Neck Rd. Turn left and continue south approximately 1.1 mi. to Fairview Farm Lane. Turn right to site #6. Travel distance is 1.9 mi. and driving time is about 4 minutes.
6. Fairview Farm
Completed in 2004 by the owners, this turn-of-the-century style farmhouse is rooted in the past by its location on an old estate on the Corsica River and by its use of charming antique architectural elements. One room is built of logs to resemble a Colorado log home and several rooms feature faux painting. The home is furnished with family antiques including interior doors from a family home. The patio and pool are of native stone and the outdoor kitchen, pool shed, garden house and stable were designed and built by the owners. Their love of entertaining is enhanced by the home’s wide porches, outdoor dining areas, and winding walkways. The house was recently featured on HGTV’s Amazing Waterfront Homes.
Go south on Spaniards Neck Rd. for 2.3 mi. Turn right on Watson Rd. Take a right onto Corsica Neck Rd. (MD 304). Continue 0.5 mi. Take a right onto Corsica Point Lane. Continue 0.1 mi. down lane to site #7. Travel distance 4.3 mi. and driving time is about 8 minutes.
7. 210 Corsica Point Lane
This home is remarkable for the four equine sculptures that grace the front drive. The sculptures are thought to represent the four seasons of life and were installed by former owners. The 14 acre estate features serene views of the Corsica River and is a peaceful retreat. Built in 1991, the brick and frame house is over 5000 square feet and the entry foyer contains remarkable double staircases and exquisite detailing throughout. The family’s love of art and gracious living is evident throughout the house and grounds.
Go south on Corsica Point Lane. Take a right onto Corsica Neck Rd. Continue 1.3 mi. to Dulin Clark Rd and turn left. Continue south 2.5 mi. to MD 18. Turn right and continue on MD 18 for 0.5 mi. to Tilghman’s Neck Rd. Turn right and continue 1.1 mi. to Decoursey Thom Rd. Turn left and continue 0.6 mi. to Blakeford Lane. Turn left and continue 0.8 mi. to White Banks Lane. Turn right and continue on White Banks Lane for 0.5 mi. to site #8. Travel distance is 6.8 mi. and driving time is about 15 minutes.
8. White Banks
White Banks, originally part of the Blakeford estate of 1696, consists of 270 acres with a commanding view of the Chester River. During the war of 1812, the British landed on the shores of White Banks to attack nearby Queenstown. When the original frame house was destroyed by fire, the former owners built the current brick house in 1969 and the current owner’s family expanded it in 1999. The house is of the Georgian style with a grand entrance foyer. The home displays exquisite craftsmanship with its detailed moldings and railings and reclaimed pine floors. Deer are found on the outside and inside as well – from a mounted pair of piebald deer in the foyer to a 19th century French tapestry scene. The current owner’s pride in their Greek heritage and love of fresh figs is evidenced by a large grove of fig trees. The colorful gardens also display thousands of daffodils, yellow berry hollies, and peonies. Architectural features in the garden include an original serpentine brick wall, several circular focal points, and a winding slate path which leads to the dock.
Go back out White Banks Lane. Turn left onto Blakeford Lane. Continue north on Blakeford Lane 0.8 mi. which becomes Decoursey Thom Rd. Continue on Decoursey Thom Rd. 0.6 mi. to Tilghman’s Neck Rd. Turn left onto Tilghman’s Neck Rd. Continue 1.5 mi. to Hermitage Farm Lane. Turn left onto Hermitage Farm Lane. Continue 0.3 mi. to site #9. Travel distance is 2.8 mi. and driving time is about 6 minutes.
9. The Hermitage
Celebrating its 350th anniversary, The Hermitage is one of the most interesting properties in Queen Anne’s County. The property was patented to Dr. Richard Tilghman, a surgeon in the British Navy, in 1659 by Charles Calvert, Lord Baltimore. The original deed for 400 acres can be seen at the house. The estate grew to 8000 acres, and today stands at just under 1000 acres. The Hermitage is one of America’s oldest continuously working farms and is still held by direct descendants of the original settler. The buildings are typical of Eastern Shore plantations: a Big House, worker cottages, restored slave quarters, a smoke house, ice house, stables and barns. The Big House also contains portraits of the Tilghman ancestors, family furniture and silver. Beautiful books belonging to both Richard Tilghman and Matthew Tilghman, a leader of the Revolution in Maryland, are in the library. It seems only fitting that Mr. Tilghman, who died in 1675, and his wife, Mary Foxley, are buried near the house in a family cemetery. The porch of the Big House looks out on Tilghman Creek with the Chester River beyond. The view includes many old and elegant trees, among them a 300 year old pecan tree and the second largest ginkgo tree in Maryland. On the land side of the house stands the largest American red oak in the State.
Exiting on Hermitage Farm Lane, turn right onto Tilghman’s Neck Rd. Continue 1.6 mi. Take slight right onto Joseph Boyles Rd. Continue for 2.0 mi. Take slight right onto 4-H park RD/Centreville RD/US MD 18. Continue 0.3 mi. to crossover for US 301. Turn left onto US 301 North to Wilmington or right onto US 301 South to US 50 and Chesapeake Bay Bridge.
Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage Headquarters
6200 N. Charles Street | Baltimore, MD 21212 | 410.821.6933
Twitter: @MarylandHGP Facebook Linkedin