Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage
maryland house and garden pilgimage
You are viewing an archived page from a past tour.
To see this year’s tour pages click here






PRINCE GEORGE’S COUNTY

SUNDAY, MAY 22, 2011
10 A.M. to 5 P.M.

Special Projects: To provide funds for the preservation and treatment of books and the archives collection in the Frederick S. DeMarr Library of County History, located at the Greenbelt Public Library in Greenbelt, MD, and maintained by the Prince George’s County Historical Society (PGCHS); and to provide ghost structures at Mount Calvert, located in Croom, Maryland, and which is the headquarters of PGCHS. The town at Mount Calvert was established by the 1684 Act for the Advancement of Trade. It became the county seat when Prince George’s County was organized in 1696 and was renamed Charles Town. By 1710, an Anglican Church, courthouse and jail had been built. Ordinaries (taverns) provided food, drink, and lodging to planters and merchants. In coordination with Mount Calvert’s owner, the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission, funds raised will be used to build ghost structures to assist in interpreting the history of Charles Town.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~HISTORY~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Now celebrating the 315th anniversary of its founding as a British Colonial settlement, Prince George’s County has a much larger past with the earliest traces of human activity, representing thousands of years, residing in numerous prehistoric sites. The county was created by the Maryland General Assembly on April 23, 1696, from two earlier settled counties, Calvert and Charles. At that time Prince George’s County extended to the headwaters of the Potomac and to the Pennsylvania border (but in 1748 those Western Maryland lands became part of Frederick County). Its name honored Prince George of Denmark, consort of Princess Anne who became Queen of England in 1702. Today’s tour takes you along the Tidal or Lower Potomac River from Fort Washington to Accokeek and through the Moyaone Reserve. Fort Washington is an area of riverfront homes as well as apartments, the Tantallon Country Club, Fort Washington Park, which for many decades was the only defensive fort protecting Washington, D.C., Harmony Hall Regional Center, including the John Addison Concert Hall and the Henson Creek hiker-bike trail. Captain John Smith was the first European to see the Accokeek area when he sailed up the Potomac River in 1608. The town of Accokeek is located directly across the Potomac River from Mount Vernon and is the home of Piscataway Park. After World War II, Accokeek was opened to commuters via MD-210. The area attracted a limited number of settlers who built contemporary-style homes in an ecologically protected restricted area called the “Moyaone Reserve.” The Reserve still retains its rural scenic character. Architect Charles Wagner, an early Moyaone resident, designed several homes and no two houses are alike. Sculptor Lenore Thomas Straus once had her home and studio in Moyaone. We hope you enjoy your day experiencing the unique and interesting homes and gardens and the scenic wonder of the Potomac River.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ DIRECTIONS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

ROUTES FROM:

BALTIMORE: I-495 South/I-95 South toward Richmond VA/Alexandria VA. Take Exit 3 for MD-210 S/Indian Head Hwy. toward Forest Heights/Indian Head for 4.7 mi. Turn slight right onto Fort Washington Rd. for 0.8 mi. Turn right onto Riverview Rd. for 1.1 mi. Turn right onto W. Riverview Rd. for 0.2 mi. Turn left onto Mariner Dr. House #1 is on the right.

ALEXANDRIA: I-495 Local E/I-95 Local N toward I-295 to exit 3A MD-210 S/Indian Head Hwy. for 5.1 mi. Turn slight right onto Fort Washington Rd. for 0.8 mi. Turn right onto Riverview Rd. for 1.1 mi. Turn right onto W. Riverview Rd. for 0.2 mi. Turn left onto Mariner Dr. House #1 is on the right.

WASHINGTON: I-295 South to MD-210 S/Indian Head Hwy. toward Indian Head/MD-210 for 4.8 mi. Turn slight right onto Fort Washington Rd. for 0.8 mi. Turn right onto Riverview Rd. for 1.1 mi. Turn right onto W. Riverview Rd. for 0.2 mi. Turn left onto Mariner Dr. House #1 is on the right.

RICHMOND: US 301 North across Harry W. Nice Memorial Bridge (toll) towards Waldorf. Turn left onto MD-228 N/Berry Rd. for 6.5 mi. Turn slight right for 0.3 mi. and stay straight onto Indian Head Hwy/MD 210 N for 5.9 mi. Turn left onto Fort Washington Rd. for 0.8 mi. Turn right onto Riverview Rd. for 1.1 mi. Turn right onto W. Riverview Rd. for 0.2 mi. Turn left onto Mariner Dr. House #1 is on the right.

PLEASE NOTE: There are several “Livingston Roads” and “Old Fort Roads” off MD-210 and they are disconnected from each other. Please pay attention to the directions and mileage amounts.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ LUNCH ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A Southern Maryland buffet featuring chicken and pulled pork barbeque will be served by the Hospitality Committee of Christ Church from 11:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. for $15 per person, including dessert and drink. Reservations are required by May 12, 2011, for groups of four or more. Please make the check payable to Christ Church and write “Garden Tour Lunch” in the note section. Mail to Christ Church, 600 Farmington Road West, Accokeek, MD 20607. Your check will be your reservation. If you have any questions, please call the church office at 301-292-5633. Restrooms are available at the Church.

tourschedule

MARINER DRIVE, FORT WASHINGTON

At the vertex of the Potomac River and Broad Creek in Fort Washington, this two-story house stands on a slight hill about 100 feet from the water’s edge. It was built in 1983 of brick and designed so that fantastic water views are enjoyed from each room. Both the deck and patio at the rear of the house are serene locations for entertaining guests with wonderful views of the Woodrow Wilson Bridge and Alexandria, Virginia, and where they can particularly enjoy the sights of bald eagles, osprey, herons, and many smaller birds. They can view the Fourth of July fireworks on the Mall and at National Harbor as well as the fireworks along the Virginia horizon down to Mount Vernon. On clear days, the Washington National Cathedral in the district and office buildings as far as Bailey’s Crossroads in Virginia can be seen. The house is furnished in the traditional style and every room takes full advantage of the river views through spacious windows. Landscaping consists primarily of junipers and nandinas with hydrangeas, roses, zinnias and begonias providing abundant color during the summer months. The beautiful lawn goes to the river’s edge.

border

 

POTOMAC VALLEY FARM, RIVERVIEW RD.

On part of the “Batchelour’s Harbour” tract granted by Lord Baltimore in 1663, this Maryland farm house was built in the 1870s by the Edelen family and purchased in 1918 by Henry A. Bartholomew, who became the third owner. Situated on the Potomac River, this was once a favorite duck hunting location for the owner and his friends, such as authors Nash Buckingham and F. Scott Fitzgerald. It continues to be a working farm with cattle and horses and it has remained in the family for 93 years. Additions were made to the house in 1950 and 1969. The view from the terrace is magnificent.

border

 

GARDENS OF PISCATAWAY HILLS

These gardens which connect through paths and gates are nestled in a quiet and undiscovered neighborhood in Fort Washington, Maryland. Tucked in at a dead end street, the gardens are surrounded by woods and native flora and fauna. The majority of the gardens are blanketed with shade so the focus of the plantings is based on texture and shape. The front yards share both sun and shade and allow a plethora of colors from spring to fall. The gardens are filled with annuals, perennials, trees, shrubs, tropicals, statuary and decorative accents.

border

 

 

THE PINE ROAD GARDEN

Created following the devastation left by Hurricane Isabel in September 2003, The Pine Road Garden in Piscataway Hills has risen from a tangle of downed trees, bramble and debris. The devastation to the woodland area after the storm was enormous. It was at this time that the idea of an English garden was born. The Pine Road Garden, which abuts Piscataway Park, is now known for its five bridges, a 200-foot dry rock creek bed, frog ponds, hundreds of butterflies and 375 different species of flora. The gardeners have their established space and unique styles of gardening. Influenced by the woodland setting, one part of the garden area is designed as a series of garden rooms, while the other is less structured and creates a presentation with many varied beds and mass plantings. The two garden sections complement each other in a number of ways; one showcases early-to-late spring blooms, while the other comes into color in summer. The gardens have been granted a scenic easement by the National Park Service. It is also certified as a Maryland bay-wise landscape. There is a walking path down to Piscataway Creek, home to bald eagles, beavers, fox, osprey and many other species.

border

PISCATAWAY DR.

This waterfront home was built in 2005 by its owners. It features an open floor plan and stunning views of Piscataway Creek and marsh from the downstairs living area and upstairs bedrooms. The décor of the house and gardens reflects the owner’s love of nature and penchant for animal and bird watching. The house is located on nearly two acres with a gazebo nestled in a wooded front yard. In the back yard, stone steps lead to a covered dock with access to some of the best kayaking on the Potomac. From the dock, the historic Strawberry Hill House can be seen across the creek, and on a clear winter day the red roof of Mount Vernon is visible across the Potomac.

border

 

CHRIST CHURCH, FARMINGTON ROAD WEST

Erected in 1745 when it was declared by the General Assembly of Maryland to be the “lower chapel of ease” for King George’s (Piscataway) Parish. Christ Church was the outgrowth of a chapel established about 1698 by private contributions. In 1823 it received recognition as a “separate” congregation and in 1869 became the parish church of St. John’s Parish, Broad Creek. Built in 1748, the structure was destroyed by fire in 1856 but was rebuilt in 1857. The church is a one-story, gable-roof building with bracketed cornice and hood moldings over round-arch windows. The brick walls are laid in Flemish bond and the side entrance has ornate molded casing. The church is surrounded by a large graveyard.

border

 

HARD BARGAIN FARM

When Alice Ferguson convinced her geologist husband Henry, that they needed a place in the country, she decided upon an old ramshackle farm called Hard Bargain. The Ferguson Farmhouse was built in the 1920s on the foundation of a previously standing 19th century house that fell down when construction workers got overzealous. The living room contains “Fergie” furniture. The gardens on the river side of the house are interspersed with sculptures and hidden pathways. The views of the Potomac River, Mount Vernon, Washington, DC, and Virginia are spectacular. The Ferguson House is the headquarters of the Alice Ferguson Foundation, a non-profit environmental education organization, which was founded in 1954 by Henry after Alice’s death. In addition to the house, the original farm buildings and barns that were built by Alice Ferguson will be open to tour.

border

 

SOLSTICE HOUSE, a.k.a. LIGHTCATCHER

The house was designed by Mark McInturff, built by Joe Barry and completed for the owner in 1998. It was the first house to be built on the former Howe Estate. Dr. Howe originally intended the 26-acre lot to be a center and retreat site for what he politely called “wayward women.” An important function of the house is to catch and project light – hence “Lightcatcher.” The great room was designed around an art installation – a Sun Drawing by Janet Saad Cook. Sunlight entering the house through south facing clerestory windows is reflected from glass and metal elements onto the south wall to create an ever-changing pattern of colored light. The many other windows in the house also bring in the sunlight and create myriad patterns on the walls and floors, changing with the seasons. With its gangplank entrance onto the deck, black-shingled and galvalume exterior and steel-cabled decks, the house has an industrial/nautical feel to it. The bridge theme stated in the gangplank echoes the house itself, which bridges two pylon-like towers. Inside, another bridge connects the two towers at the second story level. There are spectacular views of the 10-acre wooded lot, a meditation path circling the house, and excellent acoustics which lend the space to many musical events.

 

 

 

border

 

THISTLE DEW

The current owners are the third ones of the house built in 1969 as a minimalist style ranch. Dubbed Thistle Dew, as a play on words, the ranch has gradually evolved into a country cottage look. Little by little over a period of 19 years, the house has changed in appearance. About the only untouched area is the living room with its floor to ceiling stone fireplace that looks like one in a mountain lodge. The stone theme from the fireplace was carried outside to the garage foundation. The same mason did both jobs – with over 30 years between them. The home theater in the lower level is of special interest. The last change was enlarging the master bedroom with design touches by Mike Cohn. The soothing sound of the waterfall into a small pond off the deck can be heard in the bedroom. Warm and sunny colors flow through the rooms. Antique furniture and accessories are scattered throughout the house.

border

homeland_1

National Colonial Farm

At the end of Bryan Point Road is National Colonial Farm. It is an outdoor living history museum established by the Accokeek Foundation in 1958. The farm depicts life for an ordinary tobacco planting family in Prince George’s County in the 1770s. Structures located within the colonial site are open to the public and include a c. 1770 farm dwelling, an 18th century tobacco barn, a smokehouse and an out-kitchen. The kitchen garden features 18th century varieties of herbs, flowers and vegetables. Historic varieties of field crops such as ‘Orinoco’ tobacco, ‘Virginia Gourdseed’ corn and ‘Red May’ wheat are cultivated on a seasonal basis and are the source for much of the farm’s heirloom seed stock. The National Colonial Farm is a recognized leader in the field of historic plant preservation. The farm is open from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and there is no admission fee.

 

Baltimore City (Mt. Vernon) | Calvert County | Kent County | Baltimore County (Mantua Mill) | Prince George’s County | Anne Arundel County (South County)


Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage Headquarters
6200 N. Charles Street  | Baltimore, MD 21212 | 410.821.6933

Twitter: @
MarylandHGP      Facebook      Linkedin