Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage
maryland house and garden pilgimage
You are viewing an archived page from a past tour.
To see this year’s tour pages click here






Harford County

SATURDAY, MAY 7, 2016
10 am to 5 pm
RAIN OR SHINE

 

Chairmen: Mrs. Carroll F. Hopkins, cfrankmom@aol.com, 410 836-3900, Mrs. Bryan Kelly, 410-459-9294

Committee Chairmen: Ads: Mrs. Don Eccleston, Mrs. Nancy Worthington, Mrs. David Pearce. Road Marking, Mr.cr and Mrs. Michael A Daney, Treasurers, Mrs. Edward C. Wilson, Mrs. Harry Boniface, Luncheon, Mrs. Jeffrey Pierson, Photography, Mrs. Elizabeth Daney, Flowers, Mrs. Sydney Peverly, Publicity, Mrs. David Boniface, Hostesses, Mrs. Bunny Worthington.

Special Project: The former B&O Train Station was constructed in 1885 by the noted Philadelphia architect Frank Furness. Furness was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor later in his life as a means of recognizing his bravery under fire as a Union soldier during the Civil War. His work today is known as the Philadelphia School of Architecture. The Aberdeen station is the last wooden station of the line designed by Furness between Philadelphia and Baltimore that is still standing.

The building was abandoned by the railroad when passenger service ceased. It was used for a period of time as a work staging site and then left alone to fall in to despair.
In approximately 2000 at the urging of local residents, the Historical Society of Harford County took on the project to save the building from demolition as had been ordered by the City of Aberdeen.
Since that time the Society has worked ceaselessly to relocate the building and see to it that a restoration plan would be put in to place.

The majority of expenses to date have been covered by grants and donations. However, the Society has loaned the project $32,000 of its own funds in order to see that the building’s move to its new site was able to take place.

Designation of the railroad station restoration project by the Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage as the recipient of next year’s tour would allow the Society to recover funds expended on the project.
The building will be turned over to the Aberdeen Room and Museum and the organization will continue the work started by the Society.

We feel confident that the restoration of this landmark County will result in a beautiful and popular destination for railroad enthusiasts and many other and will give the City of Aberdeen an historic site of which they can be proud.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~HISTORY~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Harford County named for Henry Harford, son of Frederick Calvert, last Lord Baltimore, was part of Baltimore County until 1774. Captain John Smith made the earliest explorations here in 1608. After sailing into the upper Chesapeake Bay and its main tributary, the Susquehanna River, he wrote of these regions. ‘Heaven and earth seemed never to have agreed better to frame a place for man’s commodious and delightful habitation’ Some fifty years later, settlers moved north from southern regions of Lord, Baltimore’s domain to live along the coastal areas stretching to the head of the bay and lower Susquehanna River. Military bases have taken over much of Harford County’s Bay waterfront , but three sites on today’s tour are in the historic waterfront town of Havre De Grace. In 1789 the United States Congress seriously considered Havre De Grace for the new capital of the country. The town missed being chosen by one Senate’s vote. The names of the streets attest to the citizen’s expectations; Congress, Union, Revolution and Alliance. In 1813, the British attempting to blockade the Chesapeake Bay, shelled Havre De Grace, landing 400 men, burning the town, wharves and ferry site and left only one house standing. The tour today is centered in the North eastern part of the county in an effort to show a little of its ties , past and present, to the upper Bay and the Susquehanna River as well as it ls miles of lovely , rolling farmland seemingly remote from the busy highways and developments nearby.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ DIRECTIONS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

ROUTES
 

All ROUTES: Take I-95 to exit 80, MD 543 South toward Riverside. GO 1.7 miles take US 40 ramp. Turn Left onto US 40 W/Pulaski Hwy. Go .02 mi. to Site #1
Baltimore and the Bay Bridge: I-95 North to Exit 80. (route #543) south toward Riverside . Travel 1.7 mi. and take US 40 ramp. Turn left onto us 40 West/ Pulaski Highway. Travel 0.2 mi. to House #1

Wilmington and North: I-95 South to Exit 80 to house #1. Then as above.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ LUNCH ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Luncheon: At site #6, the Darlington Volunteer Fire Company, 2600 Castleton Road Darlington MD 21034, Luncheon will be available from 11:30 until 2:30 for $15.00 with a reservation. Mrs. Barbara Evans and Mrs. Diane Jones are Co-Chairmen for the lunch. Contact Mrs. Jeffrey Pierson 146 Snow Chief Court, Havre De Grace, MD 21078 by April 23, 2016. If you have any questions please call Mrs. Pierson at 410-939-0492.   

Restrooms. Darlington Volunteer Fire Company, 2600 Castleton Road, Darlington, MD 21034. Luncheon will be available from 11:30 to 2:30 P.M. for $15.00, with reservations. Please mail check to 146 Snow Chief Court, Havre de Grace, Maryland 21078. Contact Mrs. Jeffrey Pierson 410 939-0492 if you have any questions. Your check is your reservation.

 

tourschedule

Sophia’s Dairy, 4602 Pulaski Highway. Sophia’s Dairy is part of the original tracts of land known as Hall’s Plains and Simons Neglect. It was left by Captain John Hall of Cranberry to his daughter, Sophia, for whom the Dairy was named. Sophia Hall married Colonel Thomas White who was born in London in 1704 and came to Maryland in 1720- some say in the Charles Calvert retinue. He was a lawyer and Deputy Surveyor of the State Of Maryland. By 1777, he owned more than 7700 acres in what was then Baltimore County (Harford County had not been formed yet). The estate passed from Col. White to his daughter, Sophia, who married her cousin, Aquila Hall, a prominent citizen in Harford County. He completed the construction of the Dairy Mansion in 1768. Mr. Hall was a very successful farmer, entrepeneuer, and leader in Harford County holding many positions of authority. He was the first to sign the Bush Declaration, March 1775, this document was considered a pre-cursor to the Declaration of Independence. He was a staunch supporter of George Washington and provided supplies to his army in Valley Forge during the Revolutionary War. Owners: Dr. and Mrs. James D. Fielder.

 

border

Uncle’s Good Will, 2501 W. Medical Hall Road. This stone dwelling, named after the tract of land originally owned by the Hays- Archer families, was recently restored by its new owners. The five bay, two story buff stone structure was carefully preserved, keeping the plaster walls and front door from the nearby Medical Hall residence. From the large front porch, the south side of the house overlooks a two-acre pond. The dining room, c. 1810, features original exposed red oak beams and a large double chimney fireplace. The restoration/renovation was highly geared toward preserving the existing character of the house which can be noted by the interior stone walls in the kitchen and keeping room. The kitchen features mahogany cabinets and custom tiles on the backsplash designed by a local artist. The keeping room features many windows and a stone fireplace with a slate hearth. The stone was harvested from the property. Uncle’s Good Will also contains a stone privy and a separate two-story stone dwelling on the farmstead. Owners: Mr. and Mrs. Thomas S. Close, Sr.

border

Seven Springs Farm, 337 Fox Road. Seven Springs Farm, originally known as Lebanon, was one of the many properties owned by the Silver Family in the area south of Darlington during the 19th century. After Jeremiah Silver inherited the farmland, he built between 1851 and 1853 the large stone farmhouse in the Georgian style. The front façade is dressed stone from the quarries near Port Deposit, as are the sills and the lintels of the windows, while side walls are made of field rubble or local quarried rock. Silver’s diary survives and we know from it that he imported the hard pine flooring from North Carolina, and paid a local architect $25 for the design. The house passed from Silver family ownership in 1933 and after a period of neglect, was purchased by Mr. and Mrs. B. Reese in 1950. It is now owned their children. The white clapboard rear wing was added in 1956, as well as all of the farm buildings presently on the property. A short nature walk from the house leads to a recently built Temple of the Winds, pond and an arboretum. Owners: Mr. and Mrs. William Reese.

 

border

West Acre, 2035 Trappe Church Road, Darlington, MD 21034. West Acre is a 53 acre estate set I the heart of Darlington in Harford County. It was originally built by D.C Wharton Smith, a Philadelphia financier and designed by a Philadelphia architect Walter Cope in 1887. The house designed in a Queen- Anne style and boasts a beautiful wrap around porch and first story exterior walls made of gray and white granite quarried from Port Deposit, Maryland. The second and third story is made of cedar shingles and finished with a slate roof. The hose is designed in a picturesque asymmetry, sheltered under sweeping hipped roofs and tall, decorative brick chimneys. Viewed for the road, the house extends at a right angle behind a semi-octagonal stair tower. The interior is characterized by original, naturally finished paneling, grand staircase, ceilings, chimney pieces and other details, rendered in chestnut pine, walnut, oak, and other native woods. The principle rooms are large and many have wide openings between them which makes the home excellent for entertaining. The original outbuildings were also designed by Cope and include a shingle stable with polygonal tower. Owners: Mr. and Mrs. Bryan Kelly

.

border

Keziah’s Diary, 1448 Stafford Road, Darlington, Maryland 21034. Built c. 1810, the historic stone house known as Keziah’s Diary was originally owned by William Stump and deeded to his daughter Keziah and her husband Richard Jackson in 1831. Mr. Jackson was a businessman in Darlington and an active community leader of his day. The house eventually came in to possession of George Robinson who owned the old Robinson Mill just north of Darlington. After falling into tremendous disrepair, Keziah’s Diary has undergone a complete restoration/renovation. The home includes original slave quarters, accessible from a narrow stairwell from the current kitchen. Note the custom tin panels on the kitchen cabinets, reproduced using the original 19th century pie safe designs. The incorporated smokehouse with original creosote covered walls and meat drying hooks still remain. Wide plank floorboards and period wall stenciling are present throughout. The dining rooms beamed ceiling and stone fireplace boast a warming oven in the kitchen.  A Colonial style circular brick garden and patio have been created using antique bricks salvaged from early buildings. Keziah’s Diary is furnished with regional rural antiques and period accessories. Refreshments provided. Owners: Mr. and Mrs. Jeffrey P. Little.

 

border

Christopher Wilson House, 1011 Main Street, Darlington, Maryland 21034. Christopher Wilson House has been said to be one of the most idyllic residences in the village of Darlington. It was built by John F. McJilton in 1866. At just 21 years of age McJilton became the first postmaster of Darlington (1826). Later he became surveyor of the Port of Baltimore under Lincoln. The house is named after its well- known second owner, Christopher Wilson. Everything about Wilson house suggests tranquility: the deep front porch, the ground story floor length windows. Ancient oaks, maples, and ash trees still watch over the property including a very large and old gingko tree. It is on the National Registry. Owners: Mr. and Mrs. Jeffrey Reed

border

 
 
Rigbie House, 2422 Castleton Road, Darlington, Maryland 21034. A colonial dwelling c. 1752, occupies a special niche in the history of Harford County. It was here that General Lafayette quelled a mutiny of his troops during the Revolutionary War before proceeding to the Battle of Yorktown to meet General Washington and defeat the British. Rigbie House today is a National Register landmark and a treasured piece of Harford County history. Nestled into 320 acres of the original 2000 acre tract, the house is a 1-story frame structure. Exquisite pine paneling covers the living room walls and a grand staircase with carved step ends and a walnut hand rail create unusually decorative features for a house of that time period. The house is furnished with 18th century antiques and in the kitchen there is walk-in fireplace. Owners: Mrs. John E. Clark

 

Queen Anne’s County  |  Harford County  |  Talbot County  |  Baltimore County  |  Charles County



Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage Headquarters
6200 N. Charles Street  | Baltimore, MD 21212 | 410.821.6933

Twitter: @
MarylandHGP      Facebook      Linkedin