Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage
maryland house and garden pilgimage
You are viewing an archived page from a past tour.
To see this year’s tour pages click here






CHARLES COUNTY

SATURDAY, MAY 28, 2016
10 am to 5 pm
RAIN OR SHINE

Special Project:  MARYLAND VETERANS MUSEUM

The project will enlarge and enhance exhibits about the Revolutionary war (1775-1783) in preparation for events commemorating its 240th anniversary.  Featured will be the courageous fight and ultimate sacrifice of the “Maryland 400” who fought under the command of General George Washington during the battle of Brooklyn in 1775, and the route of the Washington/Rochambeau military expedition through Charles County in 1781.  The exhibit will use mannequins to interpret historic figures, story boards displaying factual information and related material.  Also planned is an outdoor stage/garden area for hosting special events.
 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~HISTORY~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Established in 1658, and name for the third Baron Baltimore, ‘Charles Calvert’, Charles County has a rich heritage including many historic homes, sites and landmarks. Port Tobacco was established in 1634, and is one of the oldest towns on the East Coast. Once a bustling port town with shops, hotels, homes, and livery stables, it served as the county seat until 1888 when the Courthouse was built in LaPlata after it burned. A railroad station had been built in La Plata and the railwyas replaced the river for transporting people and goods. Christ Episcopal Church, originally built in Port Tobacco, was dismantled stone by stone and rebuilt in La Plata next to the new courthouse.  Benedict was established in 1683 and was one of the first ports on the Patuxent River. Waldorf started as a rural crossroads originally called Beantown. The Baltimore and Potomac Railroad added a station called ‘Waldorf’ in 1872.
 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ DIRECTIONS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

ROUTES FROM

BALTMORE/ANNAPOLIS:

Rt. 495 t Rt 5 (exit 7) and proceed 12.6 miles South. Merge onto Rt. 301 South, Crain Highway and proceed 20 miles to the intersection with Rt 234. Make a U-turn and proceed North on Rt. 301 for 0.3 miles to Information Center and Site #1 on the right.

WASHINGTON/ALEXANDRIA:
Rt. 495 N. from Virginia, Rt. 295 S. from Capitol Hill area, to Rt. 210 South, Indian Head Hwy, past National Harbor. Proceed 8.5 miles and turn left on Berry Road, toward Waldorf. Proceed 7miles to the intersection with Rt. 301. Turn right on Rt. 301 South. Proceed 17. 5 miles to the intersection with Rt. 234. Make  U-turn and proceed North on Rt 301 fo 0.3 miles to the Information Center and Site #1 on the Right.

BUS TOUR
The Charles County Garden Club is sponsoring a bus tour for those that are interested. Advance reservations only! Saturday, May 28- 9:30 A.M. - 5:30 P.M. Bus tour info call 478-542-0263 or email maytour2016@gmail.com

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ LUNCH AND DINNER~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

LUNCH: LOYOLA ON THE POTOMAC
 
Loyola on the Potomac welcomes our guest to enjoy a sit down lunch in our dining room overlooking the Potomac River between the hours of 11:00 a.m. and 2:30 p.m.  Each meal will include a sandwich, coleslaw, chips, and a beverage along with our “famous” homemade cookies.  Diners may select from a crab cake sandwich, chicken salad sandwich, or roasted vegetable sandwich.  Bag lunches are also available with the same selections.  Lunch is $10.  Advanced reservations accepted at 301-392-0805; walk-ins also accepted.  Please bring cash or check for payment.  Thank you.

TOUR DINNER at ROSEWOOD MANOR
Rosewood Manor invites guests to end their tour day relaxing while enjoying an elegant dinner in our Grecian Tea room or outdoor Garden between the hours of 4 and 8 P.M. Each meal will include beverage(homemade iced tea or lemonade) and rolls and butter. Dinner is $24.95. Advacned reservations, payment, and dinner Choice required by May 26, 2016.Choose from 1.) Grilled Salmon with Garlic Butter and Fresh Rosemary Seasoning and Baked Potato 2). Braised Lemon Thyme Chicken Breast with Savory Sauce over Rice Pilaf 3.) Soup andSalad (Bowl of Clam Chowder served with our own Elegant Green Salad made from Mixed Greens Cucumbers, Carrot Julienne, Feta Cheese and our own Vinaigrette. Optional Dessert $5.95: 1. Decadent Chocolate Cake 2. Three Berry Mixture over a scoop of Sherbet or Vanilla ice cream 3. Glass of Sparkling Cider . Checks and Credit Cards accepted:Check:Mail to Rosewood Manor, 7825 Locust Place, Port Tobacco, MD 20677 or Credit Cards call 240-640-3556 or email Rosewoodmanor1@yahoo.com  reserve online via our website www.rosewoodmanorbnb.com  or www.rosewoodmanorweddings.com  under”Tea an Etiquette  ”.                                             

 

tourschedule

MARYLAND VETERANS MUSEUM
 
In January of 2002, the County Commissioners of Charles County established a Charles County Veterans Memorial Committee to develop a plan for locating, designing, funding, and constructing a permanent memorial to honor the County’s Veterans.  This concept was amended in January of 2008 to include all Veterans. The Commissioners authorized leasing of the Glasva Elementary School site for the Museum. The Museum opened in June, 2013and It houses commemorative displays for The War of 1812 and The Civil War, as well as many rotating exhibits. Also on display are a number or authentic military uniforms, original photos, flags, as well as a multitude of items representing all branches and groups who have served in the armed forces of this United States. Staffed by volunteer veterans, the Museum is funded primarily by donations. 

 
border

BURLEAN HALL: Owners: Mr. & Mrs. Robert Landoll
 
Burlean Hall, ca. 1770-90, is a 3-part telescopic house located 1 mile south of Faulkner, overlooking Zekiah Swamp and Allen’s Fresh. The area was first settled by Algonquin-speaking Indians on the banks of the Wicomico River. Among the first European settlers of this land was Francis Posey, who purchased the property in 1650.  Francis Posey was presumably a Huguenot from England, and he served as a member of the Maryland Legislative Assembly and House of Burgesses. After Posey’s death in 1654, the property passed through several hands within and outside of the Posey-lineage. Over the years the home has also been known as Mount Pleasant, Kilvravock Hall, and the Philpott-Posey House. Col. Belain Posey, who lived at Timber Neck (known then as Laurel Grove) died in 1791 and in 1802 his estate was divided. His widow, Margaret [Corry] Posey, was given the southern portion of the property, the Widow’s Dower, where Burlean Hall is located. She named the place Mount Pleasant (a name she derived based on her initials M.P.) and may have added the kitchen wing to the house at that time. Margaret lived there until her death in 1841

 

border

TIMBER NECK: Owners: Mr. & Mrs. Pierre Bynum
 
Originally “Laurel Grove,” Timber Neck was built between 1780 and 1790 by Col. Belaine Posey (1737-1798). Commissioned a Captain in the Continental Army,   he recruited a company of men from Charles County (July 1776) and joined General George Washington at New York where they became known as the “Flying Camp.” Historians wrote that Posey “saved all that was saved at the Battle of Long Island.”
Timber Neck may be the county’s earliest example of a 2 1/2-story, three bay, side passage Federal style House. Its most distinctive feature is a large double-end chimney of imported English brick and Flemish bond construction with a two-story flush pent between free-standing stacks. Its arched opening at the base of the brick-walled pent provides outside access to the cellar and is one of only two such chimneys in the County. Extensive renovations occurred in 1850, 1917, and 1995.  In 1917 Thomas Bowling added a two story west wing by connecting the detached cook house to the main structure. He surrounded the south, west and north sides with covered porches. In 1995, the present owners added a second story to the front porch, popular in the Ante-Bellum South. Timber Neck’s original floor plan, gouge-crafted mantels, some beaded woodwork, and side passage staircases with balustrades added in the 19th century, remain largely unchanged today.
border

HUCKLEBERRY HOUSE
 
On the front of the Loyola Retreat House grounds, one mile from the Potomac River, sits historic Huckleberry House.  Huckleberry was the primary residence of former Confederate Mail Agent Thomas Jones from 1863 through 1873. From his residence, Jones assisted John Wilkes Booth and David Herold as they eluded capture from the Army in 1865 after the assassination of President Abraham Lincoln.
border

LOYOLA ON THE POTOMAC
 
Built on a bluff overlooking the Potomac River, Loyola on the Potomac Retreat House opened its doors in 1958.  Founded by the Society of Jesus (Jesuits), the Mission of the Retreat House is to serve men and women who are striving to be conscious of God’s action in their lives and world.  Inspired by the Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius, Loyola’s ministry focuses on deepening faith and commitment to justice. The Retreat House features 2 Chapels, 70 individual bedrooms, 2 outdoor pathways to the Stations of the Cross, and hiking trails throughout the 235 acres of woodlands upon which it stands.  The Retreat House driveway is lined with Japanese Cherry Trees which were planted in 1964 as a memorial to the late President John F. Kennedy.The Retreat House welcomes more than 5,500 guests each year.

border

ST. INIGOES
 
Located on the Loyola Retreat House grounds, in 1980 the Jesuits renovated a century old tobacco barn to use as the centerpiece of St. Inigoes Youth Camp at Loyola on the Potomac. The youth camp served as a gathering place for Catholic youth from the metropolitan area.  In addition to the barn, which served as a space for meetings, recreation and worship, the Camp also housed a shower house and a bunk house.  Sitting on the south end of the Retreat House property, the camp operated for more than 20 years before operations ceased.  In 2014 the Retreat House embarked on a revitalization plan and St. Inigoes Youth Camp is once again in full operation welcoming youth groups, elementary schools, scouting groups, and conformation classes.

border

ROSEWOOD MANOR
 
This circa 1930’s French style manor house, built in 1997, was designed and built for the owners on three acres in historic Port Tobacco. The inspiration for the name came from the blueprint plan name, which was Rosewood Villa. A water fountain and circular patio in the center of the front yard welcome visitors to this grand home. Step back in time when you enter the Manor with a 25 foot, two-story entry foyer, with elegant wall and ceiling moldings. At the top of the double curved staircase, pilasters with Corinthian capitals adorn each side. The upper center hall spans the entire length of the home, with three large and well-appointed bedroom suites, now used for lodgers. Antiques and period furniture adorn the grand two story formal parlor with triple French doors, transoms, and palladium windows. The Sheraton Piano Room doubles as a waiting room for guests and is graced with 16 foot vault ceilings, unique crown and wall moldings, two antique fainting sofas, and a 6-foot Grande antique piano by Wm. Knabe & Co. built in 1903.The grounds and gardens are resplendent with space for lavish entertaining, weddings, and special events. Rosewood Manor became a Bed & Breakfast in 2008, providing luxurious accommodations to general guests and wedding accommodations to brides and their guests.  Memberships are available to their Rosewood Manor Tea Society at www.rosewoodmanorbnb.com.

border

CHANDLER’S HOPE: Owners: Mr. & Mrs. Edwin L. Kelly
 
“Chandler’s Hope” was established by Job Chandler in 1639 by manorial right.  It is believed that Job is buried beneath an English boxwood grove overlooking the beautiful Port Tobacco River.  In 1725, Chandlers Hope passed to the prominent Roman Catholic Neale family.  Four of the five sons born to William and Ann Neale were Jesuit priests.  One of those sons, Leonard, would become the first Archbishop ordained in the United States.  In 1790, Father Charles Neale accompanied four Discalced Carmelites from Belgium to Maryland where they made Chandlers Hope their first Mother House in North America. Fully restored as a modern day home, Chandlers Hope pays homage to the past.  The conservatory sits where a similar room existed when the Carmelites were in residence.  A Gentlemen’s Parlor and Ladies’ Parlor hasten memories of Victorian times, and a small chapel has been added to an alcove on the second floor.  The nursery of the Neale children, with original floorboards, is in place.  During the renovation, fireplace mantles and floorboards where imported from as far away as Europe.  The furniture and art are reminiscent of the many periods of American history through which this grand home has stood, and religious art and artifacts are prominently displayed as a tribute to the Neale family’s contribution to the Roman Catholic Church.

 

Queen Anne’s County  |  Harford County  |  Talbot County  |  Baltimore County  |  Charles County



Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage Headquarters
6200 N. Charles Street  | Baltimore, MD 21212 | 410.821.6933

Twitter: @
MarylandHGP      Facebook      Linkedin