Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage
maryland house and garden pilgimage

CALVERT COUNTY

SATURDAY MAY 17, 2014
10 am to 5 pm
RAIN OR SHINE


Special Project: Tour proceeds will go to the Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum located in St. Leonard, MD, for the restoration of the stonework and purchase of boxwoods to preserve the structure of the Patterson triangular garden on the park’s Point Farm.   Designed in the 1930’s by Rose Greely, the first female landscape architect licensed in Washington, DC and a Fellow of the American Society of Landscape Architects, the triangular garden sits just behind the Patterson House, now a museum. Dry-stack stone walls and boxwoods are prominent to the tiered garden and define each change in elevation. Ultimately, the goal will be to plant specimens like those originally planted, and restore the gardens to the vibrant beauty of the original design.  The largest land gift the State of Maryland has ever received, Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum was created when Mary Marvin Breckenridge Patterson donated the Point Farm Estate to the public, one of the most important archaeological properties in the Chesapeake Bay region. The park is a state history and archaeology museum that presents exhibits and hosts educational programs for school children, workshops, house tours, and community events. Visitors to the park and museum are surrounded by history and nature.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~HISTORY~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Calvert County was part of Charles County in 1650 when Robert Brooke arrived as a representative of Lord Baltimore to form a new county in the colony. The name Calvert was given to the new county in 1654. Under the Cornwellian rule it was changed to Patuxent County, but by 1658 the name of Calvert was restored. By 1695, after the Protestant Revolution, Calvert County was partitioned and lost a large portion of its land on the north to Prince George’s County. Calvert now forms a peninsula about forty miles long and ten miles wide, with the Chesapeake Bay on the east and the Patuxent River on the west. Calvert’s waterways provided the principal travel routes in early days. These rivers and streams are still picturesque and have attracted many to live along their shores. Fossil formations at Calvert Cliffs provide a glimpse of early marine life in the Bay. Recent findings in other areas have provided significant archaeological information about early Native American civilizations. The main occupation of the first settlers, who came from England, Wales and Scotland, was farming and tobacco was the major crop. However, by 1980 only about one-third of Calvert County was still being farmed and soybeans and corn had replaced tobacco as the principal crop. Today’s tour will take you to two lovely farm houses, Small Reward and  Windy Hill Farm and examples of one room schoolhouses, one used by African American students, Old Wallville School and one by white students, Port Republic School No.7. The next several homes are nestled along the Patuxent River and its creeks with The Cage and Tynewydd overlooking the Patuxent River and Point Farm with views of both the Patuxent River and St Leonard Creek. Rollins Cove, Breeden Point and Spout Farm, are situated along the historic St. Leonard Creek. It was here on St. Leonard Creek that one of the famous battles of the War of 1812 took place. Your last stop will be at Middleham Chapel, Calvert County’s oldest church building and one of the oldest church buildings in the United States.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ DIRECTIONS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

ROUTES FROM:

BALTIMORE:  I-695 Beltway to Rt. 97 South to Rts. 3/301 South to Rt. 4 East/South for 18 miles to Huntingtown.  Turn left at traffic light just past Huntingtown High School onto Cox Rd.  Go 0.7 miles and turn right on Marley Run (in the Marley Run Community).  Turn right onto Mayberry Ave., then take first left onto Small Reward Rd.  Site #1 is third house on right.

WASHINGTON DC:  I 495 Beltway to Rt. 4 (Pennsylvania Ave.) South/East to Huntingtown.  And continue as above.

ANNAPOLIS:  South on Rt. 2 towards Prince Frederick.  Join Rt. 4 in Sunderland.  Continue South on Rts. 2/4 for 3.3 miles to Huntingtown.  And continue as above.

SOLOMONS:  Rt. 2/4 North towards Prince Frederick.  Go through Prince Frederick to Huntingtown.  Turn right at the traffic light onto Cox Rd.  And continue as above.

CHARLES COUNTY:  Rt. 231 across the Patuxent River to Rts. 2/4.  Turn left.  Continue 5.7 miles.  Then turn right at the traffic light onto Cox Rd.  And continue as above. above.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ LUNCH ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Gourmet boxed lunches from The Laughing Pickle will be offered for $15 each at Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum. Boxed lunches may be picked up at the MAC Lab from 11:30am – 2pm and eaten in a tented area on the lawn over-looking the Patuxent River. Lunch includes a choice of one of three sandwiches, a bottle of water, a side salad, a bag of chips, and dessert. The sandwich choices are curry chicken salad, turkey club, or a portabella sandwich. Lunches must be pre-ordered and paid for by May 10, 2014. To place your order, complete the Pilgrimage Lunch order form found at the Calvert Garden Club website (http://calvertgardenclub.com), choose “2014 House & Garden Pilgrimage” from the drop down menu and follow directions on the form for confirming lunch reservations. To place your lunch order by phone or for additional questions please call 410-586-8515.

tourschedule

 

SMALL REWARD,Small Reward Road, Huntingtown, MD.

This was an original grant dating to 1688, from Leonard Calvert, Lord Baltimore, to Capt. Richard Smith the first Attorney General of Maryland.  The name “Small Reward” originates from a bounty offered by Lord Baltimore to Richard Smith to safely relocate settlers of the Colony of Virginia to Maryland.  A bounty of 2500 acres was offered for the safe transport to Maryland.  While in route to Calvert, two of the settlers died.  Richard Smith was granted a “Small Reward” of 550 acres.  Small Reward was acquired by the Lawrence family, and it seems probable that the dwelling house at Small Reward was built by George Lawrence circa 1725.  It was a one and one-half story log house typical of the period, later it was augmented by a large addition which entailed a center hall and a Federal wing in the 1850’s. The house retains the original cypress covering boards, original mantels and flooring, as well as some ancient wooden door locks. Small Reward, now furnished with antiques and family pieces, is an excellent example of the early Calvert County farm house.stoop.

border

THE OLD WALLVILLE SCHOOL, Dares Beach Road, Prince Frederick, MD.

This circa 1880s structure, is a one room structure that served as a school for African-American students during the era of segregation.  It was in operation until 1934 and is the oldest surviving structure of its type in Calvert County and one of the few such structures in Maryland. The school was built by African-Americans and was initially funded by the community and with fees collected from African-Americans. Faced with a student body averaging between 35 and 45 and encompassing grades one through seven, the teacher often placed three small children at each desk and assigned others to sit in the aisles. Books and other materials were second-hand and often outdated, but did serve to educate thousands of African American children in the county.  The school, originally located in Wallville, Maryland was rescued from destruction by a non-profit citizens group, Friends of the Old Wallville School, and relocated to the grounds of Calvert Elementary School in Prince Frederick and reconstructed.  The reconstruction was done by volunteers and, whenever possible, salvageable portions of the original wood frame 18 x 18 ft. structure were retained. There were some modifications, such as insulation, drywall and electricity. To ensure authenticity, the Friends used oral histories collected from former students and the school’s last principal. Interior furnishings reflect its appearance in the 1930s.

border



 

WINDY HILL FARM of BOWENSVILLE, 4900 Sixes Road, Prince Frederick, MD.

This circa 1840 home, was the site of the Bowensville community schoolhouse, doctor’s office, gravel quarry and source of ice for refrigeration in the early 20th century. The side-hall plan farmhouse sits within a collection of white oaks and eastern red cedar and is one of the tallest homesteads in Calvert County. The home is accompanied by a smoke house for curing meats and a barn, which served as a stable and held tobacco crops for most of the century. Currently, horticultural crops are grown in a-frame style greenhouse that support the family’s business and fill the surrounding gardens with flowering plants. Original gardens connecting back to the Hammett Family in the early 1900’s feature forsythia, common lilac, bearded iris, and daylily.  Focal point specimens include weeping cherry, fringe tree, Japanese maple and pyracantha. Theme gardens include herb, evergreen cypress, azalea, tropical annuals and a large perennial cottage garden. Wooded areas contain virgin forest trees such as American beech, tulip poplar, paw-paw and hickory. A native stream runs through the property with mountain laurel and fern species on its banks.

border

THE PORT REPUBLIC ONE ROOM SCHOOLHOUSE # 7, Broomes Island Road, Port Republic, MD.

From near the end of the Civil War until well into the 20th century, one-room schools were situated around Calvert County so students would need to walk no more than three miles to attend school.   Port Republic School No. 7,  was built around 1876 and was in continuous use until 1932.  During these years Port Republic School #7 followed the Maryland State law that schools were segregated according to race; thus this school enrolled only white students while a second school in the area enrolled only “colored” students. In 1932, the old school house was closed. Abandoned and almost forgotten, it withstood the passing seasons. Colonies of bees sought refuge beneath its dilapidated roof and poison ivy crawled and wound over its neglected walls. In 1976, as a bicentennial project, the Calvert Retired Teachers Association took the lead and worked with other local groups to restore and make the memory of the one-room school come to life.  The school is furnished with period pieces including desks, text books, slates, pictures, wall maps, and a pot- bellied stove.  Today the Calvert County public school curriculum includes a day at Port Republic School No. 7 for all fourth graders.  Children come to experience a typical day in a school such as one attended by their great-grandparents and to learn about life in rural Calvert County before electricity, indoor plumbing, cars and buses.

border

THE CAGE, Cage Road, St. Leonard, MD.

Commanding a majestic view of the Patuxent River, this house sits on the original land grant of 250 acres granted to William Parrott by Phillip Calvert in 1658.  Shortly after receiving the grant, Mr. Parrot built the house, deemed it suitable for a Parrot, and named it The Cage.  The original grant, on display in the parlor, has always been in the possession The Cage’s owner. The original portion of the house is a small four room story-and-a-half dormered brick structure.  Laid in Flemish Bond with dark glazed headers, the rich mosaic of the brick work is in contrast to the simple lines of the house.  In the original structure, chimneys are flush with the walls and serpentine arches over the windows are an unusual type.  In the late 1930’s, owner Benjamin Parran began restoration and engaged  James R. Edmunds, Jr., who had drawn the plans for the restoration of the State House in St. Mary’s City, to direct the restoration of the original structure and to draw the plans for the two flanking wings.  The northern most wing was added by the current owners who have also upgraded and modernized many of the mechanical systems in the house.  They have also refurbished the walls, paneling and floors.  The original paneling was destroyed for firewood years ago.  The walnut replacement paneling and window sashes were handmade without electrical tools, from trees cut on the property. 

border

TYNEWYDD FARM, Mackall Road, St. Leonard, MD.

Circa 1782,  the farm was originally called Milton’s Lot by John Milton, who settled the property in 1668.  His daughter Susanna married David Hellen and the property remained in the Hellen family for many generations.  The house was relatively modest.  At some point, probably late last century, the then owners became more pretentious and raised the roof and added the four column front porch, which is not characteristic of the region.  You can see the different colored brick on the end gables where the roof was raised.  The date of the house (1782) can be observed in white glazed brick between the two chimneys and upper windows on the left side of the house.  Look for the number “7”.  The front entrance hall is indicative of the relatively modest origins of the house. The upstairs has a low ceiling and long narrow hallway with rooms on both sides.  Around the riverside front of the house are two sets of serpentine walls installed by recently.  The Studio House, is currently a two bedroom, two bath, with a delightful wisteria covered front porch.  The unique feature of the charming Studio House is the fact that the kitchen is upstairs.

border

POINT FARM, Mackall Road, St. Leonard, MD.

The house was commissioned in 1932 by the Honorable Jefferson Patterson, a diplomat and ambassador.  This beautiful colonial revival house sits on a “prominence” overlooking the merging of St. Leonard Creek and the Patuxent River.  Designed by Gertrude Sawyer, the house features fine eye-catching architectural details and is filled with original furnishings collected by the Pattersons from around the world.  The distinctive landscaping and gardens were designed by Rose Greely, a pioneer landscape architect, featuring intimate formal gardens in an open landscape.  Donated to the state of Maryland in 1983 by Mrs. Jefferson Patterson, the house is a featured tour at Jefferson Patterson Park and Museum.

border

ROLLINS COVE, McQueen Road, Lusby, MD.

This home was originally a simple 1950’s one-story bungalow.  The house was renovated twice in the 1990’s to become a beautiful two-story shingle style house.  Recent renovations include converting an old porch into a garden room with views of the cove and a handsome painted garden room floor based on a 19th century design.  The rooms of this spacious house all feature large, bare, west-facing windows, including the master bath’s shower, where wonderful views of the cove are only enhanced by the beautiful color infused sunsets.  A kitchen bench dates from the Revolutionary War; a child’s rocking horse is Civil War era, and a glass coffee table is 21st century Italian.  The Cove itself is situated off of St Leonard’s Creek, which flows out of the Patuxent River, just a few miles north of Solomons Island where the river empties into the Chesapeake Bay.  In 2013, St. Leonard’s Creek and Rollins Cove, celebrated the 200th anniversary of major naval battles fought here in the War of 1812. Although the British ultimately won the battle and landed troops at Upper Marlboro and marched on to burn Washington, D.C., American forces in guerilla-like operations using small sloops and barges successfully carried out major delaying actions frustrating the superior British fleet. Today, much of the Cove, including this property, is protected by the state of Maryland and Calvert County Forestry easements which keep the woodlands and wetlands relatively pristine. camellias.

border


 

BREEDEN POINT, Breeden Road, Lusby, MD.

Views from the house extend south and south-west toward the Patuxent River and St. Mary’s County beyond. Known as “the prettiest view on the creek,” the promontory point was originally a Patuxent Indian encampment and, during the prohibition era, a ‘bootlegger’s’ drop-off point. Many Native American artifacts have been unearthed from the later planted tobacco fields. The Battle of St. Leonard’s Creek in 1812 would have been visible down the creek from the land. The farm house, c. 1910, was built as a two story two bedroom house, with two porches, front and back. Outbuildings were later added as farming demanded; a ‘pole’ barn, tobacco barn and dirt floor equipment and potting shed (supported by reclaimed telephone poles), date to the mid-20th century.   The home fell into severe disrepair for several years in the late 1990’s and stood, leaking and empty, for two years until it was purchased by the current owners in 2000. The home has been restored as a 1950‘s farm house with charming updates: dormers were added to the walnut floored room; they mirror the wonderful wrap around porch flanking a two story addition including a small office ‘nook,’ two bedrooms and two bathrooms, completed in 2005. Antique pine flooring and doors and antique hardware were sourced for the addition so there is no feeling of transition from ‘old’ to ‘new.’

border



 

SPOUT FARM, Spout Lane, Lusby, MD.

Beginning in 1649, when Secretary Thomas Hattan received a grant from the English king, the 600-acre tract changed hands three times over the next 50 years until it passed to the Parran family in 1699.  According to a map belonging to Commodore Joshua Barney, the famed Commander of the Flotilla and hero of the Battle of St. Leonard’s Creek, the property was still owned by a John Parran in 1814.  Shortly after their marriage, in 1828, Elizabeth and Nathaniel Dare Sollers purchased Spout Farm.  From that date, until it passed to the current owners, it served as a tobacco farm, a store, and in 1928 as a hunting retreat, during which time the west wing was added.  In 1982, the present owners purchased Spout Farm and began extensive renovations of the house and gardens, adding a swimming pool and pavilion.  The original house, dating to the late 17th or early 18th century, was a small 1-1/2 story log structure with one room dominated by a massive fireplace and a sleeping loft above.  It now stands at the center of the present dwelling.  The house was enlarged in the early 1700’s and the double parlor added later in 1780.  The dominant feature of the exterior is the double chimneys separated from the house above the second story level with the windowless double story pent between them.  This feature, according to the Historic American Buildings Survey, is unusual and the only one in Calvert Count. Spout Farm earned its name from the large spring that flows out of its cliff side in St. Leonard’s Creek.

border

MIDDLEHAM CHAPEL, H.G. Trueman Road, Lusby, MD.

This is the oldest church building in Calvert County and one of the oldest in the United States. The original log church building was constructed in 1684 as a chapel-of-ease to Christ Church in Port Republic.  The current “Flemish bond” brick chapel was completed in 1748, at a cost of 80,000 pounds of tobacco. The chapel bell was gifted to Middleham in 1699 by John Holdsworth, originally from Middleham, England, and to this day continues to announce the beginning of church services.  In 1890, an addition was built to make the sanctuary larger and to include the Sacristy and Vesting rooms.   The altar of black walnut was replaced with a marble one.  Wood from the original altar was used to make the present pulpit and prayer desk.  In 1947, the church was wired for electricity and an Estey organ with motor was installed and chandeliers were added.  Recent restorations, completed in 1990, included the re-opening of the transepts.  A bricked-up doorway in the south transept was opened to add a second entrance way.  A stained-glass window depicting the Good Shepherd was located in the north transept.  The grounds surrounding the Chapel contain the cemeteries of both Middleham Chapel and St. Peter’s Episcopal Chapel, Solomon’s Island.  Names, dates, and epitaphs engraved on the tombstones reveal much about the history of Southern Maryland families.

Calvert County | Prince George’s County | Kent County | Baltimore County | Talbot County

 


Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage Headquarters
6200 N. Charles Street  | Baltimore, MD 21212 | 410.821.6933

Twitter: @
MarylandHGP      Facebook      Linkedin