Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage
maryland house and garden pilgimage
You are viewing an archived page from a past tour.
To see this year’s tour pages click here






ANNE ARUNDEL COUNTY

SATURDAY, MAY 21, 2011

10 am to 5 pm

Special Project: The project for the funds received from the Pilgrimage will support the reconstruction of the Rumney-West Tavern/Ordinary, built c. 1709 at Historic London Town and Gardens. The tavern will be the third building to be reconstructed within the Historic Area at London Town. Discovered by Anne Arundel County archaeologists in 1996, the Rumney-West site revealed postholes from the building’s earth-fast frame and a large cellar filled with “trash” from the 1720s. Pieces of exquisite English delft plates, bowls and cups, wine bottles and glasses, and remains of tavern meals were unearthed. The ordinary was first operated by Edward Rumney and his wife Elinor and later in the 1720s by Stephen West, Sr. The Rumney-West project is essential in the continuing effort to reconstruct and bring to life a portion of the once-thriving tobacco port of London, established in 1683. The Lord Mayor’s Tenement (also supported by Pilgrimage funds) and the Carpenter Shop have already been constructed and play a vital role in London Town’s education programs and living history events. Historic London Town and Gardens, located on the South River in Edgewater, Maryland, is a 23-acre park dedicated to informing the public about Maryland history, archaeology, and horticulture.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~HISTORY~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The 2011 Pilgrimage South County Tour focuses on that portion of Anne Arundel County known as South County. It is the last remaining area of large farms in the county. Anne Arundel County, established in 1650, is the third oldest county in Maryland, following St. Mary’s and Kent Counties. The county was named in honor of Lady Anne Arundel, wife of Cecil Calvert, second Lord Baltimore and Proprietor of the Province, who died in 1649. The county was laid out in “hundreds” which gave way to “parishes” with the establishment of the Church of England in the Province of Maryland in 1692. The Quakers were instrumental in the settling of the southern part of the county. Many of the homes on today’s tour either have never been on the Pilgrimage or have not been open for many years. This tour is unique in that there is a working winery and an active archaeological site on tour. The tour committee has attempted to create a tour that will emphasize the historical significance and the architectural diversity that exists in this part of the county.

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ DIRECTIONS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

ROUTES FROM BALTIMORE: Baltimore Beltway #695 South to Rt. #97 South to Rt. #50 East to Rt. #665 (Arris T. Allen Blvd.) East to Rt. #2 South (Solomons Island Rd.). Follow Rt.#2 for 2.3 mi. to Rt. #253 East (Mayo Rd.). Left 0.8 mi. to Londontown Rd. Left 1.2 mi. to entrance of Site #1 (public restrooms are available at this site).

ROUTES FROM WASHINGTON: East on Rt. #50 to Rt. #665 (Arris T. Allen Blvd.) and proceed as above.

ROUTES FROM EASTERN SHORE: West on Rt. #50/301 to Rt. #665 (Arris T. Allen Blvd.) and proceed as above.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ LUNCH and DINNER ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

A delicious box lunch, including dessert and a drink, will be available at Christ Episcopal Church. The cost is $15.00 per person. Luncheon will be served from 11:30 a.m. to 2:30p.m.

The Women of St. James’ Parish are having their annual Spring Dinner today from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m. in the Parish Hall. For Pilgrims who do not wish to return home and cook after a wonderful day of touring, the menu will include crab cakes, country ham, honey-baked ham, scalloped potatoes, slaw, string beans, and rolls. Carry-out dinners will be available. The cost of a dinner is $20. Dessert of home-baked pies or homemade ice cream is available at an additional charge. St. James’ is widely known for serving delicious dinners and welcome all who wish to partake.

 

tourschedule

HISTORIC LONDON TOWN AND GARDENS

Towering majestically above the steep banks of the South River, the William Brown House, a handsome brick building, is the only remaining structure in the once-thriving tobacco port of London, declared a port of entry in 1683. A major ferry crossing was located here on the land route from Williamsburg to Philadelphia. The Brown House, built c. 1760 as an upscale urban tavern, provided meals and lodging for travelers awaiting the ferry. Owned and restored by Anne Arundel County, it is a National Historic Landmark. Every wall of the house is constructed in a header bond brick pattern, making it the only known example of its type in the United States. Archaeologists are currently discovering remains of the late 17th and early 18th century buildings from the town. The c. 1700 Lord Mayor’s Tenement is reconstructed in its original footprint, as is the c. 1730 Carpenter shop, currently under construction. A tobacco prise, ropewalk, block-and-tackle, and kitchen garden help interpret life in the port town. An 18th century log tobacco barn is located in the historic area. A new 12,000 square foot Visitor Center serves to orient visitors and houses a museum store, classroom, exhibits, the Anne Arundel County Archaeology Laboratory, and a horticultural complex. The surrounding 10 acres of ornamental and woodland gardens overlooking the South River enhance the natural terrain. The gardens showcase azaleas, magnolias, hybrid camellias, rhododendrons, peonies, and hollies arranged along a one-mile trail. A rustic gazebo is a favorite spot in the ornamental garden.

border

INDIAN RANGE

This house is one of the finest examples of domestic high-style Gothic Revival architecture in Maryland. Constructed in the 1850s for Thomas Sellman Iglehart, Jr. (1820-1904), this picturesque country villa was patterned after the designs and plans published by Architects Andrew Jackson Davis and Andrew Jackson Downing in the mid-19th century. Indian Range embodies the distinctive features of this architectural style – the steeply pitched multi-gabled roof, tall chamfered brick chimneys, casement windows, board-and-batten siding, and a broad veranda. The interior retains much of its original decorative details, including highly ornate stairs, plaster cornice moldings, ceiling medallions and marble mantels. The rear wing originally functioned as the carriage house and kitchen with servants’ quarters located in the loft space. The property retains evidence of Victorian garden terracing. Indian Range has been beautifully restored by the present owners.
border

OBLIGATION

The land on which this late 17th century house stands was granted in 1671 by Charles Calvert to Thomas Stockett who emigrated to Maryland in 1658. Named “The Obligation” in the 1671 document, the name may refer to repayment for the loss of the Stockett family property in Kent, England. This royalist family supported Charles II during his exile during the Cromwell era in England. The property remained in the Stockett family for more than 275 years and was purchased by the current owner’s family in 1946, thus being only the second family to own the property in its 335-year history. The house was originally one and a half stories with four chimneys. It was later raised to three stories and the chimneys brought together. All interior walls are brick with plaster applied directly to the brick. There is a unique wooden lock on the south door, a 17th century box-type stairway, and an unusual corner fireplace. Electricity, indoor plumbing, and central heating were added to the house in 1948. All rooms, including the bedrooms, have a fireplace. The furnishings include many family heirlooms.

border

 

THANKSGIVING FARM AND WINERY

This 58-acre farm, vineyard, and winery was once part of a 332-acre property called Richland. Built in 1893 by gentleman farmer Robert Murray Cheston and his wife, the former Mary Murray, the elegant rural dwelling is an excellent example of a blend of Colonial Revival and Queen Anne architectural styles. The house was designed by renowned architect William C. Noland, founder of the Virginia architectural firm of Noland and de Saussure. In 1954, the Cheston family sold 58 acres of Richland to architect Francis Taliaferro, one of the founders of RTKL of Maryland. The Taliaferros gave the property its present name. In 1996, it was sold to the present owners who have meticulously restored the house and established a vineyard and winery. Thanksgiving Farm Meritage, their signature wine, won the Bronze Medal at the 2010 Grand Harvest Awards Wine Competition in Sonoma. The farm is protected under a perpetual conservation easement through the Anne Arundel County Agricultural and Woodland Preservation Program.

border

CHRIST EPISCOPAL CHURCH

Built in 1869, Christ Church is one of the finest examples of Gothic Revival architecture in Anne Arundel County. Its board-and-batten siding, steep-pitched shingled roof, and bell tower evoke the romantic picturesque quality of Gothic Revival architecture. In the interior, a long, narrow nave lighted by stained-glass lancet windows draws the eye upward to the open, dark wood truss-work of the ceiling. An earlier church on this site was constructed in 1852 and known as St. James-the-Less. This earlier structure served as a “chapel-of-ease” for St. James’ Parish. By 1862 St. James-the-Less was granted independent status and a new parish was formed: Christ Church. It included the northern portion of St. James and the Southern portion of All Hallows parishes, two of the original Anglican parishes established in 1692. The existing church was built through the beneficence of Eleanor Hall McCaleb Burwell in memory of two of her children. Mrs. Burwell was the great-granddaughter of the Reverend Henry Hall, the first rector of St. James’ Parish. Christ Church was placed on the National Register in 1973.

border

SUDLEY

This house is a superb example of a large well-proportioned hall-parlor plan house. It is set upon early landscaped terraces, surrounded by grand ancient trees and is breathtaking. The house is believed to have been built between 1672 and 1683 during the ownership of Richard Arnold, a prominent Quaker in the West River area. It was once part of Cumberstone, a large tract of land named for John Cumber, patented in 1658. In the 1720s, Richard Galloway III and his wife Mary Paca Galloway became owners. It was inherited by their only daughter Susannah Galloway who married Kensey Johns II. Johns, a prosperous merchant, was owner of a warehouse at Pig Point, a colonial port on the Patuxent River, and a business partner with his wife’s cousin, Samuel Galloway III of Tulip Hill. During the occupancy of their son, John Johns, the interior of the house was altered to feature the “new” Georgian style, c. 1760-70. Two flanking wings were added in the late 18th century. The original roof frame features a principal rafter, clasped-purlin construction, a very rare surviving example of its type. The original walls were clad with riven clapboards, some of which can still be seen within the house. In 2007 the current owners acquired and meticulously restored this architectural treasure.

border

QUARTER PLACE

This house is an artful example of a mid-19th century rural Gothic Revival cottage inspired by architectural pattern books. It is the work of William H. Peake, Jr. (1837-1920), a prominent Anne Arundel County house carpenter. Other examples of his work can be found in the nearby village of Owensville and elsewhere. Character-defining features of Peake’s work include the use of scrollwork trim, an idiosyncratic Palladian window, paired chamfered columns with cross-bracing and jig-sawn side brackets supporting the porch. Scrollwork bargeboards highlight the central cross gable. Built c. 1860 for Augustus Hall and his wife, Mary Cheston Hall, it has been carefully restored by its current owner. The building has also been known as Moreland House after the 20th-century occupants of the property and as Woodbourne Farm. The current owner’s business specializes in historic renovation and restoration.

border

HOLLY HILL

The land on which this very old, lovely house stands was purchased in 1676 by Richard Harrison, a wealthy Quaker planter and merchant. Although Richard never lived at Holly Hill, in late 1698 or early 1699 he built a frame one-story-and-loft house with riven clapboard exterior sheathing which forms the east end of the present building. In 1713 two rooms were added and the north and east side walls were replaced with brick. Samuel Harrison inherited Holly Hill and adjacent tracts in 1717. Before his death in 1733 he doubled the size of the house by adding a cross-wing. Holly Hill continued in the Harrison family until 1850. Then it was home to a branch of the Scrivner family. It was purchased in 1936 by Captain and Mrs. Hugh LeClair who restored the house, adding a kitchen wing and garage. The Clagett family, descendants of Richard Harrison, purchased the property in 1968. Of architectural interest are the massive chimneys, the ogee arches over several windows, and the entrances to barrel-vaulted cellars. Inside, note the huge fireplaces, original floors and paneling, 17th century beams, windowpanes with scratched autographs of 18th and 19th century owners and guests, glimpses of the original clapboard exterior of the 17th century wing, and the interesting main staircase. One second-story room has a wall whose paneling is completely marbleized. There are extensive gardens and landscaped grounds.

border

ST. JAMES’ EPISCOPAL CHURCH

In 1692, Sir Lionel Copely, Royal Governor of Maryland, instructed the Maryland Assembly to pass the Act of Establishment, dividing the Province of Maryland into 30 Anglican parishes. One of these, known as Herring Creeke Parish, was then named St. James’ Parish. The Reverend Henry Hall was appointed the first rector of the Parish in 1698. There are still direct descendants of Mr. Hall who are presently members of the Parish. In 1695, the first church was built on the present site and, though not completed, was in use by 1698. In 1763, this church building, no longer being adequate, was replaced with the present building in use today. The Reverend Thomas John Claggett, rector from 1786-1793, was elected the first Bishop of Maryland and was the first bishop to be consecrated on American soil. The present rector of St. James’ is a direct descendant of Bishop Claggett. Vestry records are complete from 1692 to the present. The oldest gravestones in the State of Maryland are in the churchyard. The first parochial lending library for the American Parishes of the Church of England was established at St. James’ in 1698 and remains open today. The church retains 53 acres of the original glebe of 100 acres deeded to the Parish in 1700. St. James’ was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1973.

border

PIG POINT ARCHAEOLOGICAL SITE

This site, named for its location on the Patuxent River, is currently being excavated by archaeologists with Anne Arundel County’s Lost Towns Project. This Native American site has revealed evidence of oval “wigwams” or “yeehawkawns” that are the oldest habitation structures yet found in the Chesapeake region. It is also proving to be one of Maryland’s most deeply stratified archaeological sites, covering 10,000 years of human occupation. In addition to the remarkable discovery of a series of wigwam structures superimposed on each other, the excavations have unearthed the earliest known triangular projectile points and unusual decorated pottery. Other exotic finds include a rolled copper bead, a stone platform pipe, marginella beads, New York green jasper, a jasper prismatic blade, and an Ohio Flint Ridge chalcedony Hopewell point. The geographical sources of these objects suggest that Pig Point was an important trade nexus in prehistoric times. The active archaeological site will be accessible for the tour, as well as a wigwam, reconstructed by the current owner.


Baltimore City (Mt. Vernon) | Calvert County | Kent County | Baltimore County (Mantua Mill) | Prince George’s County | Anne Arundel County (South County)

 


Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage Headquarters
6200 N. Charles Street  | Baltimore, MD 21212 | 410.821.6933

Twitter: @
MarylandHGP      Facebook      Linkedin