Talbot County 2018
maryland house and garden pilgimage


10 am to 5 pm

Special Project: ​: Proceeds from the Talbot Tour will be used to replace all of the diseased English boxwood and make other repairs to the irrigation system and other  infrastructure in the Talbot County Historical Society Garden. All plans are being made to insure that changes will be in keeping with the historic Neale House where the Talbot County Historical Society is located.  Members of the Talbot County Garden  Club created these gardens in the 1960s and they are open to the public 365 days a  year. The club members have lovingly maintained these gardens and dedicate their time every other Tuesday during the growing season to keep them in perfect condition. 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~HISTORY~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Talbot County is steeped in more than 350 years of American history. Named in honor of Lady Grace, wife of Sir Robert Talbot and sister of Cecilius Calvert, second Lord Baltimore, Talbot County was settled by the English about 1661. The Chesapeake Bay and some of its navigable tributaries (the Tred Avon, Choptank, Miles, Tuckahoe, and Wye rivers) provide more than 600 miles of waterfront for Talbot County.  Easy water access for travelers and prospective traders trying to reach estates and towns alike helped to make this area an early settlement and it continues to draw countless visitors by “land and sea” today. Easton, the county seat since 1778, once was known as “Talbot Town.” Significant early political and legal history of the United States originated in Talbot County and local residents are justifiably proud of that history and the
preservation of its prominent buildings, historic homes and carefully tended gardens such as those you will visit today. Enjoy your Pilgrimage in Talbot County!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ DIRECTIONS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


BALTIMORE: EAST on Rt. 50 across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge. SOUTH on Rt. 50 to Rt. 322. Bear RIGHT and go 2.0 miles to 4th traffic light. Turn LEFT onto Rt. 33 EAST (Bay Street). Proceed 0.5 mile to traffic light at Washington Street. Turn RIGHT 0.2 mile to Site #1, The Talbot Historical Society Auditorium and Gardens on the RIGHT, adjacent to the municipal parking lot.

WASHINGTON, DC: Rt. 50 Easton across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge, then follow Baltimore directions.

WILMINGTON and PHILADELPHIA:  I-95 SOUTH to Rt. 1 SOUTH. Take Rt. 299 WEST to Rt. 301 SOUTH. Continue on Rt. 301 to Rt. 213. Exit at 213 and turn LEFT. Follow 213 to Rt. 50. Turn LEFT on Rt. 50 to Rt. 322 (Easton Parkway) then follow Baltimore directions.

SALISBURY AND NORFOLK: Rt. 13 NORTH to Salisbury; then Route 50 WEST to Easton. Exit LEFT onto Rt. 322 (Easton Parkway). At third traffic light turn RIGHT on Rt. 33 EAST (Bay Street). Proceed 0.5 mile to traffic light at Washington Street. Turn RIGHT 0.2 mile to Site #1, Historical Society Gardens on RIGHT.


~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ LUNCH ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Reservations: Box Lunches are being provided by EatSprout, an organic, locally sourced  food company and cost $15. They can be ordered in advance at www.eatsprout.com/gardenclub​ or purchased on the day of the Pilgrimage. The  EatSprout Food Truck will be in the public parking lot next to the Prager Family Auditorium, (and next to Site #1) for lunch pickup from 9 a.m. to 3 P.M. Questions regarding lunch reservations may be phoned to Lucy Spiegel 410-991-0645.



TALBOT COUNTY HISTORICAL SOCIETY GARDENS, 29 South Washington Street, Easton 21601

You are invited to tour the Historical Society’s Gardens that are maintained by Talbot County Garden Club members. Enter through the North Terrace on Washington Street. The hand-wrought iron gate was designed to complement the Charleston Gate at the far end of the garden and incorporates the Society’s “Star” logo. This charming entrance garden was designed with the assistance of noted garden designer Gordon Hayward to create a beautiful public entrance access to the larger garden. It includes dwarf boxwood, spring and fall blooming camellias, oak leaf hydrangeas and native Sweet Bay magnolias. The adjacent picket fence was designed after that at the Chase-Lloyd Garden in Annapolis. The South Terrace Garden was the gift of the Talbot County Garden Club in 1961 and was redesigned and replanted in 2015. The Nettie Jones Garden has rectangular beds and intersecting axis as is typical of classical garden design in the 17th and 18th centuries. The Alice D. Huxley Herb Garden in the right rear corner has a sundial as its focal point. Enjoy these beloved gardens.

From the Historical Society or the municipal parking lot next door, turn RIGHT on Washington Street. Proceed 0.5 miles to the light and turn RIGHT onto Peach Blossom Road, Rt. 333. Proceed straight through the next traffic light onto Oxford Road (Route 333) Continue 0.7 miles and turn RIGHT onto Cedar Point Road. Continue for
1.0 mile and turn LEFT on Ripley Road to Site #2.  


Two Coves, 28035 Legates Cove, Easton 21601

Originally constructed in 1965 near an old brick barn and situated on over two acres of land, this home enjoys a unique 270-degree view of LeGates Cove, a tributary​ off of Talbot County’s Peach Blossom Creek. Since acquiring the property in 2011, the current owners have undergone a comprehensive expansion and update of the property. Nearly every surface of the house was redone. A chef’s kitchen was added along with all of the architectural moldings and new windows and doors. There is a dining area the owners call the “Grotto” and the first floor features a large master bedroom suite with an outside entrance. A magnificent two-story staircase leads to the upper floor’s en-suite bedrooms along with a screened porch including a fireplace and spectacular view of LeGates Cove—home to all kinds of eastern shore waterfowl. The grounds at Two Coves have also been updated with the addition of expansive gardens ringing the house, a salt water swimming pool set on an east-west orientation so it receives sun all day plus an attractive two-story guest cottage that was once a horse stable; it now​ has an open kitchen and living-dining area with upstairs bedrooms. “We found the names of horses written on some of the supporting structure,” said the owner.

Exit Cedar Point Road. Turn RIGHT on Oxford Road and continue 1.6 miles and turn RIGHT on Baileys Neck Road. Go 0.5 miles and turn left on Canterbury Drive. Proceed 0.9 Miles to Site #3.


Owls Nest, 5989 Canterbury Drive, Easton 21601

Situated on 13 plus acres overlooking Trippe Creek, Owls Nest was originally built in 1972 on property which once served as the nursery for Canterbury Manor, a 1,000 acre estate which dates back to the 1600s. The one-story house, although well-constructed with flemish bond brick, was acquired in 2013 by Caroline Boutte, the principal architectural designer for Graybanks Design Group, LLC and her husband Peter Gallagher. The house and property underwent a dramatic transformation involving major renovations plus newly constructed additions designed to embrace indoor and outdoor living which take full advantage of the home’s tranquil views over Trippe’s Creek. Mrs. Boutte’s architectural style is renowned for incorporating older architectural elements in her new construction. This is evident upon entering the foyer which is clad in 18th century wooden panels salvaged from a home in France. The entry’s custom wooden doors have a leaded glass surround and sidelights which were found in a 1920s Elks Club mansion in the midwest. Elements from Europe are again incorporated into the kitchen/family room where contemporary white cabinetry is flanked by 1850s bird carvings from seven different provinces in France. Among the interesting details, be sure to look for the four-foot inlaid marble plaque of the Blue Willow design embedded  in the ten-foot slab of marble over the range. ​In the living room, visitors will find three  sets of hand-carved 19​th​ century stone and bone inlaid doors from India and like many of the rooms, it contains a display of antique china which the
Gallagher’s have collected over the years. The Gallagher’s have also added numerous plantings to the grounds which are punctuated on the waterside of the house with many beautiful specimen trees from the property’s origins as part of the Canterbury Manor nursery. 

Exit back to Oxford Road and turn LEFT. Proceed 2.3 miles to traffic light and turn LEFT on Route 322 (Easton bypass). Proceed 1.1 mile to 2nd traffic light and turn LEFT on Rt 33 (St. Michaels Road). Travel 4.1 miles and turn LEFT on Route 329 toward Royal Oak.  Follow 1.3 miles and turn LEFT on Hopkins Neck Road. Drive 1 mile to Site #4.  


Halcyon, 6613 Hopkins Neck Road, Easton 21601

This 85-acre country retreat on Maryland’s Eastern Shore abuts the Tred Avon River and offers expansive views across the water. Described by the owner as “the Garden of the Seven Veils,” the design distills the ecological and cultural context of the area and responds to the needs of a growing family who lives, plays and entertains in a grand fashion. Halcyon was originally built in the traditional “railroad style” home which was only 18 feet deep and over 100 feet long with a Mount Vernon-style veranda. The interior of the house did not meet the promise of the grand front porch so the owners decided to undergo a major renovation in 1997, under the direction of architect, Caroline Boutte. An additional 18’ x 100’ structure was added so the original structure became the Winter Rooms—decorated in rich warm hues—and the new addition became the Summer Rooms with a bright fresh lighthearted palette. Wonderful mural paintings grace the elegant dining room as well ​as the foyer ceiling. Verandas and porches around the  home were also designed to accommodate a busy social calendar.  The home is full of fabulous art which will delight your every turn and is the perfect complement to the  extraordinarily graceful grounds. Initially, the Georgian revival house sat amid a flat, featureless expanse of lawn. The landscape architectural firm, Oehme, Van Sweden (OvS), realigned the driveway and entry sequence and organized vehicular and pedestrian circulation throughout the  property. Sensitivity to the precarious ecology was paramount for revetment of the  shoreline, but also for inland ponds and wetlands. An expansive elliptical pool with an infinity edge reflects the adjacent river in the warm weather months. OvS’ trademark planting defines different areas of the garden and are a means to enclose rooms while preserving the property’s chief visual attraction—the water. Plantings create a sense of place but remain visually permeable, allowing glimpses of the area beyond, and inviting exploration throughout.

Follow exiting instructions on site which will lead you to Diamond Hall Road. Proceed to the end and turn LEFT on Double Mill Road and RIGHT onto Hopkins Neck. Signs will direct you back to the St. Michaels Road (Rt 33). Turn RIGHT on Rt. 33 and make first RIGHT onto Travelers Rest Road. Take first LEFT onto Trippe Road and follow sign for Site #5.


Auburn, 27386 Trippe Road, Easton 21601

Travelling down the long and beautiful lane of sycamore trees, visitors will feel like they’ve been taken back to another era. Auburn was originally part of the farm known as Ratcliffe Manor and was purchased from the estate of James S. Bartlett in 1920 by Barclay H. Trippe, Sr. and his wife Mary Henry Trippe. Born in Easton in 1878, Mr. Trippe worked in New York for many years before moving back to Talbot County. An article written in the 1924 Architecture magazine pictures the transition of the house from a deteriorated condition to its present design. Working with noted Baltimore architect, Henry Hopkins, Mr. and Mrs. Trippe completely restored this charming home. The oldest part of the house dates back to the 1700s and contains the kitchen, a den and upstairs bedroom. An interested “cat-slide” roof was added during the renovation. In addition, the main part of the house dating from the 1850s was connected on the second floor to the old part. A center hall colonial, Auburn opens to a long southerly vista down the Tred Avon River. There is a graceful staircase ascending three stories and original millwork is seen throughout. The house is situated on 132 acres of farm and woodlands with a mile of waterfront on Shipshead Creek and the Tred Avon River. Among the family portraits in the house are two painted (c. 1740) by John Hesselias. One is of William Hayward, last judge of the British Crown in Maryland, with his son, Thomas and the other is a companion portrait of his wife, Mary Robins Hayward. Mr. Trippe named the farm after the auburn color of his daughter Martha’s hair. Of note is the fact that a fourth-generation family member, now living in the house, also has auburn hair.

Exit back to St. Michaels Road and turn RIGHT. Drive 2.2 miles to first stop light and turn LEFT on Unionville Road (Rt. 370 NORTH). Take first RIGHT on Glebe Road and drive 1.7 miles. Take LEFT on Goldsborough Neck Road and drive 0.3 miles. Turn left on Villa Road. Proceed 1.4 miles to Site #6.


Tamarind, 27850 Villa Road, Easton 21601

Heron House is named for the tall Blue Heron sculpture standing in the stairwell window and overlooking Goldsborough Creek. It​ was originally a four bedroom dwelling​ renovated from the ground up, involving the reconfiguration of rooms and an addition of a third floor. The orientation of the house was turned toward the main house at Tamarind and a large deck was added to join the swimming pool and allow a better view of the creek. Inside, Heron House has a modern vibe with contemporary furnishings. The main floor has an open floor plan with a kitchen, dining area, and a living room with fireplace. Whimsical touches reign throughout, from the fuzzy black sheep in the living room to the third floor child’s fancy with cubbies for sleeping, reading, and most of all having fun! Heron House is the perfect place to spend a few days or longer. As you approach THE Cottage from the water, you are reminded of a country outbuilding which has been updated. The red exterior and tower evoke feelings of times gone by. Upon entering the dwelling, the charm is immediately apparent with its high ceilings, multiple stacked windows, basket of flowers​ chandelier and bumble bee lighting at the breakfast bar. The Cottage has three bedrooms, cozy and comfy with American quilts covering the French doors which open to the creek. Two of the bedrooms have their own baths with handmade country tiles. The Cottage is a perfect “getaway” from home and anyone lucky enough to stay​ here​ will have a wonderful experience! Both of these charming guest houses were designed and decorated by Architect Caroline Boutte.

Exit to Villa Road. Turn LEFT on Goldsborough Neck Road. Go 1.5 miles and stay LEFT at fork and proceed 1.8 miles and turn LEFT on Myrtle Grove Lane Site #7.


Myrtle Grove, Myrtle Grove Lane, Easton 21601

A long lane in the Goldsborough Neck area leads to Myrtle Grove, the oldest portion of  which was built between 1724 and 1734 by the Goldsborough family which was  deeded the land in 1690. In front of the main residence stands a small one-story building,​ built in 1770 and originally used by a member of the Goldsborough family as a law office. ​It’s​ believed to be the oldest law office in the United States ​and the​ 18​th century paneling remains intact. Inside the office, a narrow staircase to the left of the fireplace leads to a small room where students slept after reading law during the day with Judge Goldsborough. The grounds include magnificent greens overlooking the confluence of the Miles River and Goldsborough Creek—beautiful cedars, magnolias and other ancient trees which the current owners have sought to preserve. Myrtle Grove is a classic example of a telescope house built in the Georgian style. The oldest portion contains an L-shaped center hall with one room on either side. The newer, back wing of the house was built in 1790 with bricks made at Myrtle Grove and laid in a Flemish bond pattern. A kitchen wing was added in 1927. Original floors and doors, a rich array of hardware, elegant woodwork and decorative plaster cornices are present throughout the house. The current owners have undertaken extensive renovations including the construction  of a pool house, barn, ​and​ gatehouse along with​ the​ installation of extensive gardens and a pond. The interior of the main house retains many of the original decorative features including the American eagle cornices and a ceiling cornice depicting tobacco leaves and corn sheaves. Period furnishings adorn the main house including a 1790 mirror in the hall of the birch section which is original to the house. In the living room, a window behind the 1888 Steinway grand piano contains the engraved signature of  Robert E. Lee.

To return home, follow Goldsborough Neck Road and drive 2.3 miles. Take LEFT at Airport Road which will take you back to Route 50. Proceed NORTH or SOUTH ​at the traffic light.