To see this year’s tour pages click here
ST MARY’S COUNTY
Buy Tickets (St Mary’s)
SUNDAY MAY 3, 2015
10 am to 5 pm
RAIN OR SHINE
Special Project: Proceeds from the tour will be used to replace and landscape the entrance to the White House, circa 1803, the former Headmaster’s House at the former Charlotte Hall Military Academy. The White House now is a museum facility used to preserve its archive collection. The entrance to the building is presently a plain wooden deck with five steps in poor condition. The approximate dimension of the landing is 6’x4’ at the entrance door. A replacement deck and steps of composite material will enhance the appearance of the building and provide safety and stability, while a surrounding garden will enhance the beauty of the property. All aspects of the project will conform to historic specifications.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~HISTORY~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
St. Mary’s County lies on the peninsula bounded be the famous “Oyster Waters” - the beautiful Patuxent and Potomac Rivers and the Chesapeake Bay. The main highways through the center of the county give little indication of the loveliness beyond on the many less-traveled bypaths. The early settlers built on the shores and traveled by water. In like fashion today’s tour returns repeatedly to the riverside. In St. Mary’s County the first settlers arrived on March 25, 1634 , aboard the Ark and the Dove. They stopped at St. Clement’s island where they gave thanks for their safe arrival. Proceeding up the St. Mary’s River, they purchased from the Indians the village of Yaocomico with 30 miles of land, renaming it “St. Maries”. The charter was written in 1632 for George Calvert, the first Lord Baltimore. When he died before carrying out his settlements plans, the charter was put into effect under Cecilius Calvert, second Lord Baltimore, who became the first Proprietor. Cecilius sent his two brothers, Leonard and George, with about 140 settlers and adventurers to the new land where Leonard became the first governor of Maryland. St. Mary’s City was Maryland’s first capital and remained so until 1694 when the seat of government was moved to Annapolis. In 1708 the legislature ordered that a town be laid out at Breton Bay and that the court of St. Mary’s be held there. First called Seymour Town, the name was changed in 1728 to Leonard Town, now Leonardtown. It remains the county seat. Descendants of some of the original families still own and occupy the houses built by their ancestors.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ DIRECTIONS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ROUTES FROMBALTIMORE: Baltimore Beltway to 97S to Rt.301 S to Upper Marlboro. After Upper Marlboro take Rt.4 S through Calvert County to Solomons
(approximately 43 miles). Cross the Thomas Johnson Bridge over the Patuxent River. Proceed to second traffic light and turn right onto Rt.235. At second stop light turn right onto Mervell Dean Rd. Travel approximately 1.5 miles to right onto Joy Chapel Road and proceed 1.7 miles to Red Hill Court. Turn left onto Red Hill Court and proceed to the end to the white gravel driveway for 24738 Red Hill Court.
WASHINGTON: From 495 take Rt.4 East to Upper Marlboro. Then as above.
RICHMOND: I-95 to VA Rt.207 (exit 4 to Fort AP Hill) to Rt.301N. Cross Potomac River Bridge to MD Rt.234/Leonardtown. Continue about 19miles to MD Rt. 5 and then right (merge) and continue to Leonardtown, and intersection of Rt.5 and Rt. 245. Turn left onto Rt.245, Hollywood Road, and continue to traffic light at intersection with Rt.235. Cross Rt.235 and prepare to make an immediate (.1mi) right turn onto Old Three Notch Road. Go to the STOP sign and turn left onto Mervell Dean Road and continue .8miles to Joy Chapel Road. Turn left onto Joy Chapel Road and proceed 1.7 miles to Red Hill Court. Turn left onto Red Hill Court and proceed to the end to the white gravel driveway for 24738 Red Hill Court.
A delicious gourmet box lunch by Quality Street Catering will be available by pre-paid reservation received by April 25. Lunch pickup is on the patio of Rosedale Manor at Greenwell State Park between the hours of 11:00 and 2:00. Make your check for $15 payable to St. Mary’s County Garden Club and mail it to Macy Hovland, 23320 Esperanza Drive, Lexington Park MD 20653. For inquiries contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-862-2549. Visitors may also find additional dining options in the Hollywood area.
RED HILL COURT
Situated on three acres along Cuckhold Creek, upper and lower perennial gardens of daylilies, peonies, iris, and jonquils grace the water view. The hillside embankment is covered by mountain laurel. Walk through the woods to discover a great oak sixteen feet in circumference. The wrap around deck and glassed family room invite outdoor living and entertaining. Displays of blue and white ceramics collected over thirty years fill the kitchen and spill into the adjacent family room where a stone fireplace makes for comfortable informal living. The formal living and dining rooms are decidedly Asian in style with treasures gathered from India, Nepal, Mongolia, Thailand, China, Afghanistan, and Armenia.
| || ROSEDALE MANOR, Greenwell State Park |
Rosedale Manor is located within Greenwell State Park in Hollywood, and overlooks the lower Patuxent River. John Philip Greenwell, Jr. (1895 - 1986) owned 195 acres that surround the manor. The property, a working farm at the time, served as his weekend retreat. The interior of the manor house dates to between 1850 and 1880, as evidenced by the American Chestnut wood floors. Mr. Greenwell renovated the manor after WWII, adding two side additions, including the great room. In 1966, Mr. Greenwell established the Greenwell Foundation, a 501 c 3 nonprofit organization dedicated to providing accessible and inclusive programs, services, and facilities for all community members with and without disabilities, in Southern Maryland. Greenwell State Park opened to the public in the mid-1990s. In 1997, the Greenwell Foundation began offering active programming with a Therapeutic Riding Program. Today, the Foundation offers a range of inclusive programs, allowing people with disabilities to fully participate. Offerings include both therapeutic and recreational horseback riding, summer camps, veterans’ programs, accessible site rentals, and nature programs. Through an innovative partnership with the MD Department of Natural Resources, the property has been consistently upgraded to improve access to the buildings, grounds and waterfront.
THE SOTTERLEY PLANTATION
| || |
NO FISH CREEK, Pinto Drive
This six year old home sits on 27 acres of hidden land and woods behind Fenwick Manor. When purchased by the current owners over ten years ago, the property had a small home and a dilapidated barn. Over the years they reconstructed the barn, added other barns, created wonderful pastures, a pond, and lovingly built raised beds for their abundant flowers and vegetables. Peacocks and other fowl of antique lineage roam throughout the grounds. A newly constructed home evokes a feeling that is both rustic and spacious. It features a fabulous antique curved front door from an old Pennsylvania farm, an expansive deck from which to view the bucolic environs, wide wood panels throughout and an amazing two story kitchen with brick flooring and a fireplace. It is decorated with an eclectic mix of unusual architectural finds.
| || |
MOTU, Clarks Mill Road
The owners, looking for a home on the water, began exploring the area by boat. The small, quiet cove on Mill Creek was the perfect spot. In the early 20th century, this property and the peninsula where it is located had numerous small cottages and a commercial marine railway. Over the years the peninsula was divided, somewhat haphazardly, into lots. In the fall of 2001, the existing rambler was demolished and a federal style home was constructed. The core of the house was completed in 2002; several additions followed over the next few years. In its current configuration it has three floors, a four car garage, large workshop, a pool, dock and garden houses. Landscaping projects continue to uncover many surprises such as foundations from old buildings, boat keels, and other artifacts. The dock house is built on the anchor block from the old marine railway winch. The owners saved some of the original irises and other plants and incorporated them into the new landscape. The landscape was designed to create a peaceful, private setting with a secluded pool and patio - a “motu” just two miles from a shopping center!
| || |
ST ANDREWS CHURCH, St Andrews Church Road
St. Andrew’s Episcopal Church was created by the Maryland Provincial Assembly in 1774 to serve Leonardtown, Maryland, the first incorporated town in the state, and the county seat of St. Mary’s County in 1710. Services were held, however, in a Chapel of Ease nearby until the present church was built in 1766. Richard Bolton, the architect, was an indentured servant to Colonel George Plater of Sotterley, an important parishioner. St. Andrew’s Church is considered to be among the most unusual of Maryland colonial churches by virtue of its twin west towers embellished by brick quoin, the inset portico, a magnificent Palladian window, the unusual columns both inside and out, the two-level interior gallery, and the truly unique reredos within the church painted in 1771. The church was entered on the National Register of Historic Places on March 14, 1973. The graveyard contains remains of those who fought in the American Revolution as well as the Civil War.
| PLEASANT HILL FARM: GARDEN ONLY |
Situated on several acres on the outskirts of Leonardtown, this homestead has been kept in the family for generations. Its history is rich in both tobacco growing as well as the family’s affinity for gardening. The gardens are abundant with English boxwood, a passionate hobby of the family’s former generation, having started them from root cuttings almost a century ago. The home and gardens stand atop a hill in a simple setting and in keeping with family tradition, are abundant with favorites of euonymous greens, roses, and lilies.
| || SUNNYMEADE: GARDEN ONLY |
Designed to have a “sense of place”, Sunnymeade at Pleasant Hill Farm was built in 2005 on part of the owner’s family farm. With a traditional American country house feel, it is surrounded by English style gardens that overflow in spring. A pond, pastures, and cultivated fields surround this private property and lead to lush gardens creating a series of outdoor rooms to be enjoyed nearly year round. Landscaped with a strong emphasis on structure, including English boxwood raised from cuttings from the owner’s parents, roses, peonies and iris abound in the bucolic setting. A small “potager” style vegetable garden is also a functional part of the landscape plan.
Buy Tickets (St Mary’s)
Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage Headquarters
3 Church Circle Suite 190 | Annapolis, MD 21401 | 410.821.6933
Twitter: @MarylandHGP Facebook Linkedin