To see this year’s tour pages click here
SATURDAY, MAY 4, 2013
10 am to 5 pm
Special Project: The Lower Eastern Shore Heritage Council (LESHC) has been formed to strengthen ties among the three counties, Somerset, Wicomico and Worcester, which originally made up the area, Old Somerset, established in 1666. The group recognizes connections among natural and cultural resources, works to strengthen local economies, coordinates a range of regional, state and national funding and technical assistance programs and carefully plans the promotion, preservation and protection of our historical, cultural and natural assets. The LESHC is a recognized Heritage Area in the State of Maryland and is certified by the Maryland Heritage Areas Authority.
~ ~ ~ ~HISTORY~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
An Situated between the Atlantic Ocean and the Chesapeake Bay, the Lower Eastern Shore has figured prominently in the early history of Maryland. Vividly reflecting the past is a wealth of surviving 18th and 19th century plantation, farm and town dwellings, churches and agricultural buildings many of them open for the first time during this year’s Pilgrimage. Established in 1666 by Cecil Calvert, the second Lord Baltimore, Old Somerset was named in honor of his wife’s sister, Lady Mary Somersett. As originally conceived, it stretched from the bayside to the seaside and from the Virginia line to the Nanticoke River, encompassing what are now the three lower shore counties as well as part of southern Delaware. Seventy-six years after its original creation, Somerset was divided in half, with the seaboard side established as Worcester County in 1742. In 1867, a portion of Somerset and a section of Worcester were partitioned to create Wicomico County. The shared history of the three lower shore counties offers an interesting background for the modern-day pilgrim to explore its level fields, extensive marshes and miles of slow-moving tidal tributaries emptying into the bay on the west and the ocean on the east.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ DIRECTIONS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
ROUTES FROM BALTIMORE or WASHINGTON: Route 50 Eastbound, over the Bay Bridge. Proceed on Rt. 50 toward Salisbury. Routes 50 and 13 skirt Salisbury. Follow South Rt. 13 toward Norfolk. After passing Rt. 50 exit, travel 3 miles to Rt. 12 and exit towards Snow Hill. Turn left toward Snow Hill on Rt. 12. Travel south for approximately 13.5 miles to Market Street in Snow Hill. Turn right onto Market Street to site #1 on the right.
ROUTES FROM EASTERN SHORE: Join Route 50 as necessary and proceed as above.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ LUNCH ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
A delicious box lunch, including drink and dessert, will be served (or be available to go) in the garden behind the Teackle Mansion from 11 – 2 by ADVANCE RESERVATIONS ONLY. The cost is $15 per person, and your check will be your reservation. Please mail your check to the Somerset County Historical Society, P. O. Box 181, Princess Anne, MD 21853 by April 27. In addition, there are a variety of restaurants available.
TEACKLE MANSION (NR) – 1802-1804, 1818-1819
WEST MARKET STREET
The Samuel Gunn House, more recently known as the Phillips House, stands on Market and Church Streets in the center of town. Distinguished as one of the oldest and perhaps best preserved of the 18th century town dwellings in the county, the side hall/double-pile frame house boasts intact rooms with superior late Georgian-style finishes. Outstanding on the first floor is the stair, which has turned balusters and bulbous newel post topped with a distinctive cap trimmed with delicate Wall-of-Troy bed molding. Highlighting the stringer is a delicate scroll decoration that was common to stair construction of the period. Also noteworthy is the molded arch with a center keystone that visually divides the front and back halls. The stair hall is finished with raised –panel wainscoting, molded baseboard and a decorative cornice. The southeast and northwest parlors are finished in the best 18th century traditions, with complex raised-panel hearth over-mantles and raised-panel wainscoting. Trimming the perimeter of the Southeast Parlor is a decorative hand carved cornice. Attached to the west gable end of the house is an early 19th century (ca 1825), two-story hyphen, which was constructed to connect the Main Block to an 18th century kitchen. The most noteworthy detail of the hyphen is the exterior drilled cornice, common to structures of this period, which imitates a classical swag motif. The hyphen is now used as a modern kitchen. The original kitchen was torn down in the 1930s, but has recently been reconstructed on its original foundation following early records and photographs. Behind the house is a formal boxwood garden with outbuildings.
Built atop a prominent high point on the south side of Snow Hill, the Mumford House has long been considered one of the oldest houses in town and certainly one of the most unusual. The exterior retains portions of its original beaded weatherboards. Lighting the first floor rooms are a combination of twelve-over- twelve and nine-over-nine sash windows. Significant survivals of the home include an early nineteenth century stair in the northeast corner, chair rail moldings, raised six-panel doors and wrought-iron hardware. By 1860, the principal façade of the house had been changed with the construction of a two-story porch, which changed the orientation of the house from north to east. It is also known as the James Martin House, the original owner.
Framed by a beautiful landscape of cypress trees and tidal marsh, Beverly is a handsome five-bay, two-story Flemish bond brick dwelling overlooking the winding Pocomoke River. The manor house, c. 1774, was built by a wealthy landowner and attorney, Littleton Dennis. It has an original two-story frame kitchen wing and hyphen filled with family memorabilia and sporting collections. Important features of the second floor fenestration are Palladian-style windows in the center bays on both the road and river sides. About 1820, a Greek Revival portico was added to the land side of the house. There is a perch on the roof used as a lookout for the Underground Railway. Although the house was constructed later, the design of the interior is early Georgian. The parlor, with fluted pilasters flanking the fireplace, is the only fully paneled 18th century room to survive in Worcester County. The other two downstairs rooms have paneling beneath the chair rail and on the fireplace walls. The handsome stair rises on the river side from an enlarged portion of the hall. Iron grillwork, hand-fashioned, frames the exterior of the river door in an arch which still holds a lantern once used to guide the river traffic. The railings extending from this arch on each side of marble steps came from Europe as ships’ ballast. On the grounds immediately surrounding the house are the original brick ice house and the family cemetery.
PHOENIX CHURCH ROAD
This distinctive two-story, gable-front house is one of the finest Federal/Greek Revival frame dwellings on the lower Eastern Shore. Covered with original beaded weatherboards, the transverse hall-plan house was restored by the Somerset County Historical Trust in 1996-2002. As part of the restoration the Trust recreated the Greek Revival entrance portico, and engaged in rigorous research and restorative methods that revitalized this fine dwelling that formerly stood on Somerset Avenue. The first floor interior is enhanced with a mahogany and tiger-maple stair railing, restored tiger-maple painted doors and period locks. Beautiful antiques of the period and hand-painted floor cloths are just a few of the appointments added by the present owners. In addition, they have added a third section to the house, a two-story kitchen wing and a pyramidal roofed outbuilding. A formal garden enhances the area immediately to the south, with a meadow just beyond.
This two-story Flemish bond brick house known for the past century as Hollyhurst is architecturally distinctive for its tall proportions, with an elevated foundation and parapet gables that distinguish the main house. The Federal-style house was lovingly revived in the early 1980s with the introduction of raised–panel woodwork. Later sections have been introduced in a four-sectioned design based on the stepped or “telescope” building tradition common to the Eastern Shore. Initially the land was part of the “More and Case It” land patent originally held by the Bozman family during the 17th century.
| || |
NOBLE FARM ROAD
Set within a sweeping vista of a Wicomico Creek landscape, the Bordeleau House was designed and built with clear references to America’s grand architectural tradition of Georgian design. Built in 2002 on land where Thomas R. Shelton had cultivated grape-vines since 1999, the two-and-a-half story brick dwelling has a center Palladian inspired pavilion that contains the main entrance. Tall chimney stacks frame the main block, which is extended to each side by lateral wings, open colonnades, and connected dependencies. Neoclassical and traditional finishes embellish the exterior and interiors. The name “Bordeleau,” meaning the “edge of water,” serves also as a reference to the historic Bordeaux winemaking region in France.
Somerset & Worcester Counties | Charles County
Maryland House and Garden Pilgrimage Headquarters
6200 N. Charles Street | Baltimore, MD 21212 | 410.821.6933
Twitter: @MarylandHGP Facebook Linkedin