Baltimore City 2019
maryland house and garden pilgimage

BALTIMORE CITY

SATURDAY MAY 11, 2019
10 am to 5 pm
RAIN OR SHINE

 

Special Project: Village Learning Place (VLP).This project will help support urgent repairs to the Village Learning Place’s 1896 building. A community anchor since 2000, the VLP provides library resources and advances high-quality free educational programming and cultural opportunities for all. Major renovations align with the MHGP’s mission: to support the preservation and restoration of architecturally and historically significant properties. Restoration and upgrades will preserve the VLP’s historic building and support its successful ongoing adaptive re-use. Repair work will include both exterior and interior restoration—urgent repairs to masonry, gutters and the slate roof, as well as plaster repairs and fresh coats of paint on the interior. MHGP funds will provide significant matching funds for the VLP’s $100,000 Maryland State Bond Bill, approved in 2018.

Tour Chair: Sandy Sparks srsparks@verizon.net

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~HISTORY~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

The 2019 Pilgrimage North/North East Central tour focuses on the 33rd Street Corridor connecting Charles Village on the west to Mayfield on the east. Inspired by the Olmsted Brothers 1904 Report Upon the Development of Public Grounds for Greater Baltimore, this section of Baltimore City encompasses the 1918 expansion of Baltimore City above North Avenue. The Charles Village neighborhood represents the first of North Baltimore’s Garden Suburbs with its original 1890s Peabody Heights Company development set-backs, offering front yard gardens and the site of Enoch Pratt’s Library Branch No. 6, now The Village Learning Place (Special Project below). This tour highlights the legacy of Johns Hopkins, Founder, from the University’s Homewood campus on Charles Street to his Clifton Mansion off St. Lo Drive in the City’s Clifton Park. Both Homewood House and Clifton Mansion now shine as the best of the best national landmark restorations. Follow 33rd Street and the Alameda , the Olmsted-designed transverse parkway, to tour a representative Oakenshawe and Mayfield house. In Mayfield, an Olmsted-designed residential parkway, Norman Avenue, stretches from Clifton Park to Chesterfield Avenue bordering Herring Run Park. Tour the Maryland State Boychoir Center for the Arts facing Norman Avenue and enjoy the historic bells rung on the hour for 5 minutes. In tribute to all mothers on Mother’s Day weekend, the City tour features Mothers’ Garden in Clifton Park for a delightful respite along the way.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ DIRECTIONS ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

ROUTES FROM:

SOUTH: Route 295 (Baltimore-Washington Parkway) to Russel Street into Downtown. RIGHT on Pratt Street (one-way), LEFT on Charles Street (one way). RIGHT on E. 27th Street, RIGHT on St. Paul Street for Sites 1, 2 & 3.

NORTH: From Baltimore County, follow N. Charles Street flowing onto St. Paul Street in Guilford for Sites 1, 2 & 3.
NORTHEAST: From I-695, take Perring Parkway (Route 41) to 33rd Street. Bend LEFT onto 32nd Street to Harford Road for Sites 6, 7, 8 & 9. NOTE: Harford Road north of Chesterfield Avenue is closed for construction of a new bridge over Herring Run.

NORTHWEST: From I-83, take 28th Street to St. Paul Street, turn RIGHT for Sites 1, 2 & 3, OR LEFT on N. Charles Street for Sites 4 & 5.
START ON ST. PAUL STREET, which is ONE WAY SOUTH to Downtown. For Sites 1–3, park on the street nearby.

FOLLOW PILGRIMAGE GREEN ARROWS AND SIGNS.
 

Baltimore City Tour Map


 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ LUNCH ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~


Gertrude’s Chesapeake Kitchen, 10 Art Museum Drive, reservations: 410-889-3399. Tamber’s Restaurant, 3327 St. Paul Street, American Classics & Indian. Red Star Bar & Grill, 3224 St. Paul Street, Bistro Fare, Burgers & Sandwiches. Great variety of fast, casual restaurants, 3100 & 3200 block St. Paul Street. Near Mayfield: Maggie’s Farm, 4341 Harford Road, Eclectic Restaurant & Bar, Thoughtfully Sourced.
options in the town of Leonardtown (off of MD-5).
 

tourschedule

 

VILLAGE LEARNING PLACE, 2521 St. Paul Street/Charles Village 21218

The Village Learning Place’s historic building was once a branch of Baltimore’s Enoch Pratt Free Library, commissioned by philanthropist Enoch Pratt in 1896, and is now a physical embodiment of community organizing and neighborhood pride. Designed by architects Charles L. Carson and Joseph Evans Sperry, the library retains many unique Victorian details, including original wood wainscoting and sculpted gargoyles by the windows. Maintained by community volunteers, the Community Garden behind the library includes a culinary herb raised bed, a water feature, and the Youth Educational Garden. Once part of the United States’ first library system, the Village Learning Place now operates as an independent 21st Century library with year-round educational programs and cultural activities for all ages.

border

 

LOVELY LANE CHURCH, 2200 St. Paul Street, Charles Village 21218

The cornerstone of Lovely Lane’s impressive Romanesque style building was laid in 1884, although the congregation dates back to 1772. The original building hosted the 1784 conference that founded what is now the United Methodist denomination and hence—the “Mother Church of American Methodism.” Noted American architect Stanford White designed the 1884 building as the 100th Anniversary Monument of that foundational conference. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places and named in One Hundred Most Important Buildings in North America by the American Institute of Architects, the main sanctuary was meticulously restored to its original appearance in 2001, with semi-circular seating, bronze plaques by Hans Schuler and a spectacular dome painted to represent the night sky on the date of dedication, November 6, 1887.br />

border

 

CHARLES VILLAGE, 2616 St. Paul Street 21218

Built in 1873, the house is part of Little Georgetown Row—a name that gained popularity in the 1950s. The residence of Frazier and Beatrice Harper, who operated a moving and baggage hauling business from the rear carriage house, shows traces of the home’s original paint scheme, and the hand-pulled door bell system remains. The walks retain their original paving brickwork. Much of the furniture has been in the owner’s family for decades. The vintage kitchen overlooks a perennial garden with oak leaf hydrangea, allium plantings and a pond. Owner: Jacques Kelly.

For Homewood House, park along N. Charles Street either south or northbound. Parking meters in effect (50 cents/hour)..

border

 

HOMEWOOD HOUSE MUSEUM, Johns Hopkins University Homewood Campus, 3400 North Charles Street/Charles Village 21218

A National Historic Landmark built circa 1801, Homewood Museum is renowned as one of the nation’s best-surviving examples of Federal-period architecture. Homewood was a country retreat for members of Maryland’s prominent Carroll family during the first quarter of the 19th century. It was also a site of bondage for at least 25 enslaved individuals who labored in service of the Carroll family. Now owned by the Johns Hopkins University, which restored and opened the house as a museum in 1987, Homewood boasts an impressive collection of American decorative arts, including superb examples of Baltimore furniture. In interpreting the house’s domestic spaces and collections, Homewood helps illuminate the history of the new nation and the lives of all the people who contributed to early Homewood and Baltimore.



From E. University Parkway, enter the Oakenshawe neighborhood at the N. Calvert Street (ONE WAY NORTH) intersection. Go 2 blocks and turn RIGHT onto Southway and turn RIGHT onto Guilford Terrace (ONE WAY SOUTH). Park on the streets nearby.
 

border

 


 

OAKENSHAWE, 3429 Guilford Terrace 21218

This 100-year old house had a noteworthy renovation in 2010. The respectful restoration of the facade is contrasted with a remake of the interior. With the use of I-beams, large spaces were created to house art collections. The David Hess sculpture in the front yard alerts the visitor to a distinctive aesthetic experience and gets better with paintings by many local artists: Nancy Scheinman, Joan Erbe, Squeak Carnwath, John Markowitx, Rick Eisenmann, Mae Stoebe, Joel Urruty and more. A striking Kuba skirt worn on special occasions in the Congo, adorns a dining room wall and complements the magnificent wood table made by sculptor David Hess. From the plethora of oriental carpets to a balcony overlooking the rear garden with two fish ponds, enjoy your visit. Owner: Paul Babikow..

Follow E. University Parkway and along E. 33rd Street, past Waverly/Greenmount Avenue and Loch Raven Boulevard to Baltimore City College HS. Ease RIGHT onto The Alameda and follow in the LEFT lane to Harford Road and Clifton Park. Head onto St. Lo Drive. Turn LEFT before the landmark Pump House (granite ruin) onto Indian Drive. Clifton Mansion is at the top of hill on the LEFT. Follow the signs for special event parking.

border

CLIFTON MANSION, 2701 St. Lo Drive, Clifton Park 21213

Clifton Mansion is a Victorian Italianate house incorporating an earlier Georgian house. In 1803, Henry Thompson, a shipping merchant, built this stone mansion. Johns Hopkins made Clifton his country estate in 1841, and by 1852, had transformed the mansion into an Italianate Villa with tower. In 1895, Baltimore City acquired Clifton for its major northeast parkland. Since 1993, the mansion has been headquarters for the non-profit Civic Works, which has been responsible for two decades of extensive exterior and interior renovations. Climb the tower for an unparalleled 360° view. Restored by Friends of Clifton Mansion, the stunning tower entry hall includes a gold-leafed ceiling, Bay of Naples mural, enameled windows, walnut stairs, trompe l’oeil niches holding statues, and extensive wood graining. Don’t miss the Hopkins-era inspired dining room restoration.

Return to St. Lo Drive. Turn RIGHT on Harford Road. Follow alongside Clifton Park to the first RIGHT turn at the corner of Mothers’ Garden onto E. 32nd Street. Park along Harford Road or in the very limited parking lot off E. 32nd Street for Mothers’ Garden..

border

 

MOTHERS’ GARDEN, 2080 East 32nd Street, Clifton Park 21213

In 1926, then president of the Baltimore City Park Board, William I. Norris, created Mothers’ Garden in memory of his mother and to honor Baltimore’s mothers. The park, formerly a quarry, became a botanical haven presented to Mayor Howard W. Jackson at a ceremony that attracted over 6,000 people in 1926. An early 1980s restoration led to a rededication by Mayor William Donald Schaefer. Founded in 2011, the non-profit Friends of Mothers’ Garden focuses on routine maintenance and clean-ups, repair and restoration of masonry features and walkways; removal, planting, pruning of trees and shrubs; clearing and replacement; and establishment of flower beds and garden features. The organization also organizes the annual Mother’s Day weekend event and Poetry Contest to honor mothers.br />

For Sites 8 & 9, continue EAST on Harford Road and turn RIGHT onto Mayfield Avenue. Park along Mayfield Avenue, Norman Avenue (boulevard) or Crossland Avenue (ONE WAY EAST).

 

border

 

MARYLAND STATE BOYCHOIR CENTER FOR THE ARTS, 3400 Norman Avenue, Mayfield 21213

The Boychoir Center for the Arts was founded on the site of 3400 Norman Avenue on November 30, 2006. The building dates to 1928, when the congregation of Saint Matthew United Church of Christ moved to largely undeveloped Mayfield in Baltimore County from the City. The sanctuary’s exceptional stained glass windows date from 1952. Look to the balcony for reinstallation of the late 1800s rose window from the congregation’s Fayette Street sanctuary. In 1874, the German Emperor Wilhelm sent to the Saint Matthew Church a number of French cannons captured from the Franco-Prussian war, for recasting into church bells, which are still rung every Sunday. Listen carefully, you will hear these wonderful treasures at the top of each hour today.
 

border

MAYFIELD, 2410 Mayfield Avenue by Crossland, 21213

Most homes in Mayfield were built in the 1920s and 30s, with many architectural styles—Tudor Cottages, Colonials and Spanish Revival houses. This brick colonial built in 1927, features wood floors with parquet detail, coffered ceilings, original lighting fixtures, new doors that match original doors and a new staircase to match main staircase. During extensive renovations (2014), the architect and contractor carefully maintained the original style in updated rooms. Unique finds and many rugs from world travels are on display. Fans of The Wire will recognize this house as Lt. Daniels’ home. The previous owner’s garden provides a perimeter of flowering trees and bushes and a wide variety of perennials. The magnolia is resplendent in spring, butterfly garden delights in summer, Lenten rose in winter. Owners: J. Brian O’Day and Janelle Cousino.

Return Directions


Return to Harford Road, turn LEFT and RIGHT onto E. 32nd Street, which flows into E. 33rd Street.br />

border